Thread: Getting closer to moving.

Default Getting closer to moving.

I am getting closer to making the move to Alaska. I want to live remote but have reasonable access to supplies. I have found some properties and would like to narrow down the areas somewhat so I am not flying all over the state when I come to look at parcels. Any information on these areas would be helpful.

1. Unalakleet a couple of river miles upstream from the famous lodge.
    2. Keyes Point at Lake Clark
    3. Pike Lake near the Copper River with river access
    4. Yentna River near Lake Creek
    5. Yentna River near Fish Creek
    6. Alexander Creek off the Susitna River
    7. Big River SSE of McGrath
    I would like an area that offers moose and caribou hunting close by. Obvously, the fishing should be good at any of these locations. Any weather information would also be helpful. Can a person grow a garden in any of these areas?

Let's take these by the numbers.

1) Depending how far upriver you are and what game unit you are in. Little moose hunting opportunities (permit only for 14 moose), caribou only if they are in the area. Supplies are expensive and building materials VERY expensive. No gardening. Everything comes in by barge, if the barge makes it. I wouldn't even consider this one.

2) I wouldn't get involved in the Keyes Point mess if you paid me to. You can do your research on Google and get your fill.

3) I don't know anything about that area. I just know it gets REALLY cold in the winter.

4,5, and 6 are all similar. They are in the Susitna River Drainage. The area is a big recreational area for Anchorage and Mat-Su Valley residents. You will see people year round recreating in the area; fishing, hunting, boating and snowmobiling. However, the traffic is not too bad and the area is still really remote. Access to supplies is excellent by boat or snowmobile depending on the season. Gardening is definately easy to do in this area. The fishing and bear hunting is excellent. Moose is o.k., but many people get moose out of this area. Caribou is not possible. Yentna near Fish Creek is pretty popular in the summer for fishing, definately busier than the Lake Creek area. Depending on where on Alexander Creek you are at can definately hamper boat access in the summer.

7) Big River. It's a big area.. Most of the Big River parcels available are at the mountainous south end of the river. It's cold, hard country. No chance of a garden. Access is horrible unless you own an airplane.

Thanks Doug. Are there any other areas I should be looking?
    The Susitna River Drainage sounds like an area to explore.
    Is it possible to get decent moose and caribou hunting in the same area?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaBob View Post
    I am getting closer to making the move to Alaska. I want to live remote but have reasonable access to supplies. I have found some properties and would like to narrow down the areas somewhat so I am not flying all over the state when I come to look at parcels. Any information on these areas would be helpful.

1. Unalakleet a couple of river miles upstream from the famous lodge.
    2. Keyes Point at Lake Clark
    3. Pike Lake near the Copper River with river access
    4. Yentna River near Lake Creek
    5. Yentna River near Fish Creek
    6. Alexander Creek off the Susitna River
    7. Big River SSE of McGrath
    I would like an area that offers moose and caribou hunting close by. Obvously, the fishing should be good at any of these locations. Any weather information would also be helpful. Can a person grow a garden in any of these areas?

i would scratch #1 off your list.... nice area. people are okay... until you try to move there.. been there done that...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Moose and Caribou without big time permit hassles and competition..decent access to civilization. Dillingham area or Nome area.. I can't think of any more.

The catch 22 of Alaska is, if you live out where you can boat, snowmachine or atv to game, then you'll have the high cost of fuel and flying everything out, and locals that might not be so friendly. If you live off or acccessible to the road system, cost of living goes way down, but you'll generally have to pay to get out to good hunting.

To an extent I'd say they savings of being on or near the road system are such that if you have to spend $500-2000 a year to get to good hunting, it'll be cheaper than living out in the bush. I'd give serious concern as to how you will be heating your abode, as that single factor can very from next to nothing but labor for firewood, to $5-10,000 a year for fuel oil. Not to mention what food supplies you need to buy being easily double in more remote locations.

Default Unakaleet

Montana Bob,You can forget about a garden in Unakaleet.Hope I'm not sounding rude.But I have a brother up there that is a baptist missionary,and it is very cold.If you would like to speak with him e-mail me and I'll give you his address.Shayne