Thread: help on finding the right kind of sled???

Default help on finding the right kind of sled???

okay.... I've been wanting a sled to have fun on for the last couple of years,well...... The time has come and would appreciate a little input for what I want to do with it.
    I want something that I can play in the powder on as well as trails at times. Let's see if Im on the right track. I like Arctic Cat as I have a 69',70' and 71' Panther all used for hunting and a LITTLE modified you might say and are far better at breaking trail than any tundra out there.
    I'm thinking a M7 or M8 with a 144" track. Now and then I'll be trail riding withmy wife on her 07' Tundra 300. Im buying used and looking to spend 5 grand or so. Will I be able to ride slow with her for stetches at a time or would the machine load up on me? Also would a 151" or 159" tracked machine be way to long to trail a ride a bit? Also seen a couple RX1's that caught my eye...... Any input would be great. Thanks

RX1's are very heavy but the will do what you wan't. If you get a A/C make sure you get one that has the batteryless EFI! You will be able to put along but you will eventually foul the plugs. The RX1 Will get better milage than pretty much any mountain oriented cat. The RX1 can easily be purchased in good shape for your price point. You will have to be quick to find a good M7/M8 in that price range. Most of the ones that are under 5K are pretty ragged out.

thanks for the reply lujon. What would you think about the track sizes I asked about? Would the 159" track be to long for what I want to do?

Default sleds

Can't help you much if you are in love with A/C. Can't stand 'em...
    Until another manufacturer comes out with a sled as reliable as Yamaha (for aggresive riding) I won't ride anything else. Nothing can top the all around quality of a Yamaha. They only paid me a little bit to say that.

Yammi's aren't the lightest, fastest, highest climbing sleds out there, but they will get you from the truck to the mountians, into the trees, down the trails, rippin' on the rivers and back to the truck under there own locomotion AND THEN do it all over again next weekend with out so much as adding gas (and oil, for us old skoolers).

Good luck...people sure are proud of their used sleds right now. Take a look at Craigslist and find a '01 or '02, hell look at '99s -any brand- under $2500, then think about how old that sled really is. Seven, eight, ten years old??? ....PROUD I tell you.

Was that a rant or what??

Oh yeah...your question....
    Trail riding- don't go over 144"- pain in the @$$ turning in tight trails
    Deep snow- depending on skill a 1.5"+ paddle on a shorty (121") would be fine but a longer track 136"+ would be better.
    Combo riding- 136" x 1.75" or 2" would be ideal.

I love my 141" Yammi Mountain Max- basically a 136" with better suspension geometry. But that track length is obsolete now (hard to find tracks). A/C makes that track length, but the track window spacing (pitch) is different, so no fittie on my Yammi.

Food for thinking.....

I had a 159 on my last sled and I am planning on going to a 144 on my next one. The 159 is alot of track! There were very few places that my 159 got me that my friends with 136-144 couldn't go. The same buddies had alot better manueverability in the woods and trail. I like the cross over sleds alot, they just make sense and have really come along way at bridging the gap between mountain and trail riding.

Yamahas are all four stroke too. Soon I would guess most other sleds will go that route too.

Well I brought home a sled today. Got a 03' RX-1 with a 151" track and reverse. Bought it from second owner with 3000 miles on it. Picked up another 03' RX-1 yesterday for my brother and delivered it too him cause he doesnt have a trailer yet. Same sled except he has no reverse on his and his has 1900 miles.Trying to figure out what on mine is after market. I see the skis are SLP powder pro's but the one thing is mine definitely sounds more throaty and a little louder.Anyone know how to tell a aftermarket exhaust on these sleds? It exits through the stock exhaust holes out back but and exhaust is visible under tunnel.Thanks for any help,also from underneath looks like a newer piece of fiberglass insulation between muffler and tunnel.