Thread: Dagnabit! Anyone make a DURABLE little pocket camera?

Default Dagnabit! Anyone make a DURABLE little pocket camera?

All I really want is to be able to take snapshots on trips out and about - and here at home. Nothing fancy. But the little snapshot cameras by Nikon and suchlike just don't hold up to - well not even abuse really. Just use.

One stopped working for.. don't know why really. Another with a slip on the ice (okay, that one I can understand). Now the latest is dead and gone for... who knows. It just died.. Probably a little speck of glacier sand from last weekend worked its way into the track and now it gives me this "lens error" message that customer reviews say costs more to fix than the camera did.

Gah!

So... does ANYONE make a camera I can use? I don't care about flash sync, nifty software, or a feature list that's longer than some novels. If I wanted a fancy videocam with audio and a flash sync I'd BUY a fancy videocam.

ALL. I. WANT. is a small portable digital camera that doesn't care if it's dropped on the sidewalk once or gets splashed with rain. On/Off Button. Take the Picture button. Zoom is nice. Look at The Pictures button is good. That's it. Don't want any more. Don't use any more. Just that.

But built like the little Yaesu radios - put it in aluminum shell with some O-rings around the seal, dunk the electronics in that rubbery stuff that shock insulates auto electronics, and maybe a sliding guard over the lens.

Does ANYONE make such a thing?

Default Might wana try one

of these. both are good cameras from what i've heard. We have the pentax and it takes some great pics. I've also heard great things about the olympus as well.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...section--optio

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...digital_sw.asp
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default cam

I went through a few in short order, mostly dunks in the water. I bought a Olympus 1030sw and like it a bunch. Waterproof, shockproof and stout. Give it a look.

I vote for the Pentax W60. I have the W30 and take it on float trips. Great camera and fully waterproof. Takes nice sharp images too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

olympus 1030SW, have it and love it. you won't be disappointed. good luck shopping

Default olympus

I have the stylus 770 and love it!!! Waterproof and shockproof. It takes great pictures to boot!

Pentax W60 or Pentax W30, I have both and have taken all the pictures in my photo album with them, they work great. Even works under water.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My pentax optio W10 has been through hell and back
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Steve that w60 looks like a great camera for the outdoors - but from what I see it doesn't look like there is a removable or sliding lens cover is that right?

I'm curious because every exposed piece of my current pocket camera from the body to the screen to the viewfinder is worn after 3 years of use getting jammed in a pack, coat pocket, or fishing vest. If the lens area was exposed the camera wouldn't still be taking pictures today...

Have you had any problems with the exposed lens? Have you had to be careful with it?

Mark

I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-U60.

It has never failed, but it is only 2 megapixel and has no zoom whatsoever; not even digital.

I'm looking to upgrade to the waterproof Pentax or Olympus models.

that 1030sw from olympus has a sliding lens cover (I like that), but the bigger zoom and other features of the pentax w60 seem to win out...cheaper too

I still have my 1.2 mp canon - I think it's an a20 powershot or something like that.

Used it until last year when we bought my wife a new one because the 4AA battery eating canon was too big for her purse (4AAs!). I honestly think we'd get more useable pictures if she was still using the old camera instead of that junk panasonic we bought...

Thumbs up Pentax Optio

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Steve that w60 looks like a great camera for the outdoors - but from what I see it doesn't look like there is a removable or sliding lens cover is that right?

Have you had any problems with the exposed lens? Have you had to be careful with it?

akjw7-

My wife and I have owned a Pentax Optio for several years. You are correct that it does not have a removable lens cover; I don't know all of the technical terms, but it has a permanent plastic cover over the lens and a lens cover that retracts when the camera is turned on. The nice thing about the Optio is that the lens doesn't extend out of the body when zoomed in, so dirt and dust don't have a chance to enter the lens.

Our camera has really been abused, tossed around and put through the ringer and it still works as well as the day we bought it. It has spent more time in a backpack than not, hiked over 200,000 vertical feet in a single summer, taken lots of underwater fish photos, been on countless rafting trips, hunting trips and fishing/boating trips and has been exposed to any type of Alaska weather that you can think of...and it still works great. I don't have much other experience with similar types of cameras, so I don't know if it's better than others out there, but my wife and I both really like our Optio. Oh, we also make it a habit to store our camera in a small case that is just big enough for the camera. It doesn't add much bulk but does help protect it while in the backpack and has a space for an extra battery and memory card.

thanks for the added info

I'm sure using a case would keep that lens cover more or less pristine, but I carry my current camera loose in my pocket so often that I think it would get beat up.

I don't usually wear a belt in the field and so the case ends up in the pack or strapped to it and regardless of my intentions I just don't use the camera as often as I do if it's in my jacket or pants pocket.

It's a great feature that the lense doesn't extend out (I've had a pocket camera ruined because I got dirt in a pocket climbing up a steep cut bank) and a moveable lens cover would probably make the camera less durable overall. But it's too bad they couldn't engineer a user replacable fixed cover...I can put a screen protector on the LCD and I don't care much if the body gets scratched up...but the idea of having the lens area get damaged spooks me a bit.

I do think the other features of this camera make it worth dealing with a small case - heck even a crown royal bag would be sufficient I'm sure!

It's on my wish list for the coming year(s)!

Another vote for the Olympus 770 SW. I've been using one for about a year and they are very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    thanks for the added info

I'm sure using a case would keep that lens cover more or less pristine, but I carry my current camera loose in my pocket so often that I think it would get beat up.

I don't usually wear a belt in the field and so the case ends up in the pack or strapped to it and regardless of my intentions I just don't use the camera as often as I do if it's in my jacket or pants pocket.

It's a great feature that the lense doesn't extend out (I've had a pocket camera ruined because I got dirt in a pocket climbing up a steep cut bank) and a moveable lens cover would probably make the camera less durable overall. But it's too bad they couldn't engineer a user replacable fixed cover...I can put a screen protector on the LCD and I don't care much if the body gets scratched up...but the idea of having the lens area get damaged spooks me a bit.

I do think the other features of this camera make it worth dealing with a small case - heck even a crown royal bag would be sufficient I'm sure!

It's on my wish list for the coming year(s)!