Thread: Cold Weather Gun Care - Any Good Tips?

Question Cold Weather Gun Care - Any Good Tips?

Hi All,

Been hunting up here since I could walk (actually before I could walk if you listen to my dad's stories ). Only once have I ever had a missfire due to weather...but it did cost me a moose that year

What are your best tips/tricks for firearm maintenance in freezing weather? Freezing...to sub-zero and below!

Default Sub Zero Temps

Absolutely no oil in the bolt and trigger assembly. I've heard of people using dry graphite in the bolt/firing pin but I haven't ever done that. Of course you want to use black electrical tape over the barrel to protect from anything entering. They make some really good fog proofing for scopes now days too.

I tried the black Electrical tape and couldn't get it to stick in the cold.

Default 100 mph tape

I have used e. tape before and finger condoms but was wondering with the extreme cold if the 100 mph tape would work? Is it to heavy that it would end up effecting the bullet? Thought?

Default I make sure

I degrease my bolt totally. I usually bring it in and use brake cleaner on it. I use my rifle out trapping, so -50 weather is common some weekends. I also put a piece of electrical tape over the barrel. Put it on while the rifle is warm and it will stay on. If you are in the field, warm the end of the barrel up and then tape it. I once carried a mini 14 and with the snow blowing around (from breaking trail, etc.) it would get snow in the throat where the bullets go in and not work. I ALWAYS carry bottles of heat with me. Iced up bolt can be used in seconds after pouring heat on it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

once a year i drop them off to Gary at arctic gun works in fairbanks.... cost a few bucks each but he completely disassembles my bolt and mech... for a thorough cleaning... has stopped any issues i ever had.... in-fact have to go pick up my Ruger 300 Wm and benelli 12 ga today...( thanks for the reminder LOL)

i tried to disassemble my bolt once.......Gary showed me how even.... i carried it back to him to reassembl...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I find that you cannot beat WD-40. I've used it here in Maine, with temps below zero, and it has never failed. It has is good for preventing rust. I use a semi-auto Remington, which needs more attention then the bolt actions. I enjoy breaking it down, and giving it a through cleaning. I also use my air hose to blow out the trigger action. Many years ago my brother cleaned dad's Remington and use a light grease. First cold hunt it was frozen shut.

GaryD.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    once a year i drop them off to Gary at arctic gun works in fairbanks....

Quote Originally Posted by GaryD View Post
    I find that you cannot beat WD-40. I've used it here in Maine, with temps below zero, and it has never failed. It has is good for preventing rust.

GaryD.

I get in trouble every time i take my gun to the smith with WD-40 on it..for some reason he hates it... says it has no place in the gun case is and a major cause for gun faliurs..... but when its all i have....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

How would this be different for an AR-15 which requires lube to function properly
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Another vote for "NO OIL WHATSOEVER, I missed a coyote some years back because my gun wouldn't fire, temp was about -20F and the oil in the firing pin spring froze, learned my lesson and since then, the guns I use during winter (mostly predators) have no oil in anything. Gun scrubber works well for this, or I guess BreakClean but you need to be careful what surfaces you spray that stuff on. The electrical tape works well if you apply it before the barrel is cold. 2 piece crossing the muzzle and one wrappin the barrel over the crossed pieces.

+1 for gunscrubber on the bolt before I head out into extreme cold.

I unscrew the firing pin/spring from the bolt and soak the bolt and firing pin assembly in diesel then take it out and let it dry and put a bit of graphite on it and reassemble. Like Northway said, completely free of any oil is the way to go, and you have to have the muzzle taped too especially in winter. Duct tape, electrical tape...doesn't matter...the tape is blown off well before the bullet exits the barrel.

Default Thanks :-)

Thanks all...the electrical tape is an automatic with me, but haven't tried gunscrubber before...think it's time to pick some up.

Thanks all!!!

Default gun oil

I like to use the gun scrubber and then put on some gun sav'r it says its good down to -30 but Idont know Ido know its pretty good stuff

Heard of people using finger condoms over the muzzle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Latex-Finger-Cot...41110009r25663
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I use G96 synthetic oil on all my rifles, and have never had a problem. Many of my hunts have been in the -50,s while hunting caribou. Another thing I do is , never bring my rifle inside, it stays outside the whole trip.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Another thing I do is , never bring my rifle inside, it stays outside the whole trip.
    Is that about condensation?

Default Cold to hot

Be wary of gun care upon return from your trip. When the rifle is cold and you bring it indoors it acts like a cold can of soda on a warm day; it will condense and form water on all metal surfaces, including the inside of the barrel. I 'forgot' to dry/clean mine after a day in sub-zero temps and after a few months, guess what, I had some rust to deal with. Matter of fact, on my rifle (Rem Mod 700 BDL; blued) I had to have it chemical etched to remove the rust deposits; it was bad enough I had to blue it again. Bottom line, upon return from outings, I'll remove the bolt completely, remove the tape off the barrel, place it barrel down to allow for potential water drainage a rest the barrel on a neoprene pad to prevent any damage to the crown. I let it re-gain the temperature of the surroundings, then I'll then use gun scrubber for it strips moisture away very effectively. You can spray it anywhere and it will displace moisture. I follow up with a LIGHT coat of oil and finally wipe it with a silicone impregnated rag. It will be good-to-go for the next outing.
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default My technique

As everyone else has said - thorough cleaning to remove all the oil, etc... but I put Rem Dry Lube on it for winter and have every had any problems. It dries almost instantly and I like it better than graphite.

Paul