Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 mag

Default 41 mag

I have been wanting to pick up a new big bore single action revolver. Most likely it will be a New model Ruger Blackhawk. The purpose of this revolver will be for harvesting deer only. The one big bore that I have never owned is the 41 mag. For obvious reasons I am being drawn to it this time. I have some issues with carple tunnel syndrome on my shooting hand. The last time I took a 44 mag to the range and shot some stout 240 grain loads was not fun.

I have killed deer with various 44 mags with great success. However my success with a 6' 686 with full house loads (158 grainers)has had mixed results on deer causing me to shy away from the 357.

Murphy and the rest..set me straight if you would. Will the 41 mag be the right compromise? Your thoughts on recoil and killing power in regards to big whitetail deer and a puny hand!

I have a Ruger New Model Single Six with a Hogue Mono Grip and it fills my wide stubby hand well. I would probably go the same route with the big bore.

Thanks in advance for your advice! EKC

I own a 4" S&W model 57 and recently owned an old model RBH in .41 mag. and let me tell you, they are a ball to shoot and load for. Plenty of accuracy also. You won't be sorry over your choice of .41 magnum.
    Steve

Default 41 is fine

The 41 magnum is a fine cartridge and actually shoots with a tiny bit more energy at the muzzle (for many loads) than the .44.

Two places where it may be considered to fall short of the .44 is in frontal area (the 44 is 9.5% greater than the .41. For Comparison, the .41 is 32% larger than the .357) and in the highes bullet weights. The maximum bullet weight has the same differences.

On the other hand, aside from marginally higher muzzle energy, the 41, shooting faster, shoots flatter than the 44. The recoil reduction is a bonus.

I am a fan of Rugers, but you might consider a Dan Wesson, too, as the DW 41 mag is a very heavy piece (furthur mitigating recoil) and the grip can be shaped to fit almost any hand since there is no grip frame, but a post, like the Ruger Super Redhawk, but the handle is a single piece of wood held on with a machine screw that goes up through the bottom of the handle.

DW revolvers are supremely accurate, too.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Default 41 Mag mania.....

I have 3 of them. Bought my first in 1971, a Ruger old style 4 5/8" barreled Blackhawk, I still have that gun today. I took my first handgun white tail with that gun and my last one with a revolver was also taken with that gun exactly 30 years apart. I have slautered several of them in the interim with that and other 41 mags. This one has been used for just about everything to include wild hogs, mountain lion, a couple of coyotes on the run and one rag horn elk.

I also have a 1972 vintage (first year) new style Blackhawk with 6 1/2" barrel and a model 58 S&W. These guns are among the best I've shot for accuracy and the 6 1/2" gun will launch 250 CP WFNGC's at 1450 fps with a load that is below max. Never will you be under gunned for deer with a good 41 mag. The caliber does offer a jump in performance with the 6 1/2" barrel over the 4 5/8" but my S&W 4" is a faster gun than the older 4 5/8" Ruger. My 6 1/2" is newer, I bought it new in the box about a year ago from the estate of a collector and there is another just like it still there for about $450, in the box. A 30 year old new style. (transfer bar, load six).

I won't be able to tell you if recoil will be managable for you , but it is abit less than the 44. You can shoot the 250 cast at about 1100 fps and that is significantly less recoil than even the 220 grain factory magnum ammo and it is more effective. Handgunning for deer with big bore revolvers is best done with slower heavier hard cast bullets anyway and at iron sight range trajectory is not an issue. I've coincidentally taken a small buck in southern Iowa with a 41 mag one cold December season, from the farm of a friend there at about 60 yards. He ran about 120 yards across an open hillside and toppled horn over heels while I watched. I am not much for shotgunning deer and a handgun is the alternative for me.

I have been a fan of the 41 mag for about 40 years now and probably always will be. The forgotten magnum that never got a starring role in a major motion picture. If Clint had known about the 41 mag back then, the 44 mag would now be obsolete.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Music to my ears Murphy! Ya just gave me the warm fuzzies.

I have shot wall hanger bucks with my muzzleloader, bow and shotgun here in the Hawkeye state and I've killed a bunch of does with the handgun but I've never been able to tag a big guy with a six shooter. I might add that I don't care for the way most shotgun hunting happens either. I haven't even shot a slug through a shotgun in 15 years but when I did it was the solo method.... just me and the deer.

Do you have aftermarket grips on your 6 1/2 incher? The sharp edge on the bottom of the factory grip lays in my hand in the worst possible spot. Like I mentioned in my original post I'm all but certain that Hogue grip will fix that.

I will send you a PM concerning that "72" New Model Blackhawk in 41mag.

Thanks for the insight!

No qualms about the 41 with loads a lot tamer than 1450. My favorite for deer is a 210 or so down around 1100-1150. And that kicks a bunch less than standard 44 mag. Pertaining directly to your question, I went through the CTS routine a few years back, and my 6 1/2" magnaported 41 mag Blackhawk was one of the few handguns I could shoot comfortably. I shot others with lesser loads and no magnaporting, and they felt like they were going to take my thumb off. But that magnaporting made a big difference for me. With or without the extra holes in the barrel, a 41 tamed down to the 1100 fps range will still be a serious deer stomper while recoiling moderately.

I have a Redhawk 41 with a 5 1/2" barrel that I bought as a bear defense fishing gun. That's one reason I went with the double action. I have some 250 hardcasts that are rated with a 1250 MV but have never shot them yet. The *standard* off the shelf rounds shoot pretty sweet through it with not a lot of kick, just rocks back a little. I think for your purposes the 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk would do you well.

I've never shot any critters with mine but was planning on shooting a couple of local alphalpha fed whitetail does for the freezer this year.

Good hunting, and have fun with your Blackhawk if you get it.

I just walked in the door from an afternoon and evening of hanging out in the tree lounge.

Gunbroker.com says that I own a 6 1/2 inch New Model Blackhawk in 41 mag for the sum of $300.00. That was the bottom dollar opening bid price so I plugged in that amount in the bid box as my high bid and went hunting. I really didn't think that I'd get it for that. The seller says its real tight and in excellent condition. Who'da thunk it!

Thumbs up

Cool, great deal

Its already got a set of grips on it that from the pictures look pretty robust. I can't tell what kind they are though.

Have a gander if ya like. www.gunbroker.com,, Enter Ruger Super Blakhawk 41 mag in the search criteria and then scroll down to auctions ended in the last 24 hrs. It'd be the one with elmerkeithclone as the winning bidder.

The Late Great Elmer Keith LOVED the .41 mag and rightfully so. Its a great gun. Will it do what a .454 will do?? No but its a heck of a lot more fun to shoot and most people just dont need a .454. For black bear and anything under a .41mag is a great choice!

I think you got a pretty good deal, about what the gun is worth. About 22 years ago, I paid $200 for one with a 4 5/8" barrel that had been completely worked over by a super pistolsmith (his personal .41 mag). So, considering that 25 years of inflation has passed by, $300 is real reasonable. You picked the perfect big bore in the perfect gun if you have carple tunnel; since a fairly serious horse wreck ended with perminant nerve damage to my shootin' arm, the .41 Mag Blackhawk is about all the recoil I can handle. With 260 grain hardcast handloads, it will do things it's not supposed to be able to do. And it isn't even supposed to be accurate with bullets over 220 grains! Guess "modern science" has made the .41 a real rip snorter. Enjoy your fine new pistola, and keep a strong wrist brace on!

I absolutely love the 41 mag... Yes it is a lot more gun than a 357 Mag and on Deer size game virtualy no difference betwenn the 41 and the 44 mag IMHO

If it ain't, you've always got a new revolver?

Who makes the best factory loads for the 41,hunting and protection type shells?

I alway thought mine were the best but, I don't sell them to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Who makes the best factory loads for the 41,hunting and protection type shells?

Depends what your hunting and protection needs are.

I think the 250 castcore load from federal is the heaviest load I have found. It is impressive but I think it falls short of what is needed for a bear load. I shot a moose in the ball joint of the shoulder with one and it did decapacitate the shoulder almost penetrating the joint completely but it did not so the bullet never did enter the chest.

I think handloading is the only way to get consistant heavy power from the 41 mag. The Federal load goes 1050 FPS out of my 4" taurus Ti tracker. I load 265 grain bullets at 1150 and 293 grain bullets at 1050. These are a noticable improvement over the Federal load for penetration.

For deer or home protection any 210 soft point is what I would pick. The 210 soft points easily exit deer. At least the (one) I shot did.

I had a 4 5/8" blackhawk that I loaded the 293's to 1275 FPS. I put one of these through a moose head and it went under the brain and through about 8" solid bone and exited.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

RMILLER, what's the velocity of the Fed. cast core load in your taruas? I find it amazing that it didn't even penetrate the shoulder joint completely, was the shot at an angle or glancing?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    RMILLER, what's the velocity of the Fed. cast core load in your taruas? I find it amazing that it didn't even penetrate the shoulder joint completely, was the shot at an angle or glancing?
    Steve
    The velocity is 1050 FPS out of my Taurus.

The shot was dead center on. The ball joint is about the size of a softball though.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Still can't believe it didn't penetrate the chest cavity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast