Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope recommendations for under $200

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Scope recommendations for under $200

I am looking for 4X fixed power, 2X7, or 3X9 variable that can handle the recoil of an -06 without self destructing. Economy, ruggedness, eye relief, optical clarity are my priorities and in that exact order. No objectives over 40mm. Nothing made by BSA.

I have had several Tasco and Bushnell cheapies that were plenty accurate, durable and optically clear for the purpose for which this will be used, but the limited eye relief drops them out of the running. Two fingers doesn’t cut it for me…….. well actually it does cut it! My eyebrow that is! So I am looking for 3 to 4” of eye relief.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Bushnells are great. I have 2 Trophys, and 2 Legends.

Also, 2 Weaver K4s, and they are great too.

All of these are New Manufacture Riflescopes.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Low power scopes can be had for $200 by both Nikon, Burris, and Leupold. Save your money for either of the 3. Or save a few extra dollars for a Leupy.

2 -7 x 33 vx1 about $220-$230
    4 x fixed vx2 aboout $270

These can be found at Cabelas, among others. Of the above 2, save $70 and go for the vx2. I have 3 of the vx1 series and all suffer from internal flare at dusk and dawn. Or when looking into the sun. Two of the 2-7x33 and one 3-9x40. Look around.

I've looked through a Nikon Monarch. Was not impressed by the definition at the outer edges. Clear and bright at the center, but coming from 1st rate optics, it was very noticeable. Outer edges were but a blur, but the owner was happy. I just grimaced. Even a vx1 has proper definition at the edges. Again the problem with them (vx1 leupold) is stray reflections within the tube.

Burris and others can be found at savings also. I've never looked through any Burris optic. Can't say either way, though they have a good rep. Buyer beware and make your own choice. Burris runs $200 specials in many publications for 3-9x40 optics. They include a halfway decent pair of binocs for $200. Hmm, wonder how they can do all that.......

Many will have a different opinion from mine and may argue. Remember, only your opinion matters.

Bob

I bought a Sightron ll 1.5-6x42 two weeks ago delivered for $185 w/shipping. They had a few left the last time I looked. I know y'all have an optics sponser who doesn't have these in stock but still feel it would be improper to post the dealer info. If interested I guess a PM would be proper? These are VERY NICE scopes that alot of people wish Sightron would have kept offering.

til later

i sound like a spokesperson for eBay but buy (and sell) my stuff there. bargains can be had on the best quality equipment, leupold-nikon-etc that cost less that retail of the "bargain brands".

with good equipment your shooting will probably improve and you can save serious money at the same time.

don't overlook fixed power scopes as they offer lots of flexibility and a less expensive price. most of our troops use low power fixed scopes and they work fine. if you move from the "bigger is better mentality", there are lots of options.

read some of phil shoemaker's articles on low and fixed power scopes, he makes sense!

happy trails.
    jh

We've had good luck with the 3x9 Burris Fullfield II's. They also offer a 2x7 I believe.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I have a Burris FFII 2-7x35mm on my Ruger .350 RM seems to be a good scope, has held zero with my extended .225 grain hand load sessions and is pretty clear.

The ebay advertisement shows a 3-9x40mm Leupold VX II for 190 dollars...another solid buy. My dad like the Nikon Buckmaster and Prostaff scopes and they are in that price range as well. You should be able to get in a Bushnell Elite 3200 for that too.

Default Leupold at gunshows

Check out the gun shows for used scopes - but know the new prices before you go.

If you keep your eyes open you can pick up used scopes and sometimes used rifles w/scopes at good prices. The Leupold have lifetime warranty on the gold ring scopes so you don't have to be afraid of buying a scope that isn't mechanically damaged.

I picked up a nice 6 x 42 Zeiss Diatal T* - not the cheaper Conquest- recently for $250. I've bought Pentax Lightseekers and Burris 3 x 9s at less than a $100. I've bought a number of rifles with scopes for little more than the value of the optics.

Look around - there are deals to be had if I don't find 'em first
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Burris FFII

I have a Burris FFII new in the box , factory sealed for $165.00 if interested PM me. Tom

Default Just bought one : Sightron II 1.5 x 6 x 42

Base on your recommendation I just did an on-line search and just bought one for $176.95 including shipping ($175 + $1.95 Priority Mail shipping) so there are some still out there at close-out prices.

I'll compare it to my Leupold and Zeiss scopes and post the results. For the money it sounds hard to beat if it is any good at all since it has a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    I bought a Sightron ll 1.5-6x42 two weeks ago delivered for $185 w/shipping. They had a few left the last time I looked. I know y'all have an optics sponser who doesn't have these in stock but still feel it would be improper to post the dealer info. If interested I guess a PM would be proper? These are VERY NICE scopes that alot of people wish Sightron would have kept offering. til later
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Another vote for used scopes. Leupold M8 4x, 6X32's and vx-II 2-7 and 3-9's can be had for ~$150. Sometimes you'll find them for $100.

While weaver products are good, I've been disapointed with their current fixed scopes, they just don't have enough eye relief for high powered rifles.

I bought a couple Vortex 3x9's from Cameraland and I'm very happy with them. Under $200, decent eye relief, and lifetime warranty. My son and I both used them in the rain on Kodiak and had no problems with them.

tvfinak,I haven't mounted my Sightron yet as the rifle it's for isn't done yet(9.3x62) and everything else is sighted in and set to go. I have found the scope to be clear from edge to edge;compares favorably with my VXlll 1.75-6x32 as far as low light situations go,although I do like my Leupolds hvy duplex better;and although the specs show a variable eye relief,as far as I can tell it seems constant throughout the power range. Right now I'm thinking that by next season the Sightron may end up on my .300 and the Leupold on the 9.3 Mauser. It'll be interesting to see how your comparisons turn out!

til later

My $.02 plus change. When it comes to a scope, you will loose much more than you save by buying a cheap one. It will cost in wasted ammo and time on the range and in the field... I've been down that road never to return. Iron sights would be much better. If you are a half descent marksman with half descent vision you can make a 300 yd shot easy with iron sights which is better than a total miss with a scope that is all over the place.

As far as used scopes go, the only used scope I would consider would be a Nightforce or equivilent. When you buy a used scope you have no idea what it has been through. Might be a good deal or might be a nightmare... roll the dice.

If you want a good scope, wait, save and get one. Mark my words.

A box of ammo runs $30 - $60. You'll waste more than a box on a cheap scope.

I am an absolute sucker for the old Redfield fixed power scopes and low power variables. A few months ago I bought a 30 year old 2x7 wideflield new in the box for $125. It was obvious that it had never been on a gun.

I also have three of the Nikons, 2 Monarchs and one Prostaff and they are all clear around the edges... not seeing the blur that was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I am an absolute sucker for the old Redfield fixed power scopes. A few months ago I bought an
    30 year old 2x7 wideflield new in the box for $125. It was obvious that it had never been on a gun.

I also have three of the Nikons, 2 Monarchs and one Prostaff and they are all clear around the edges... not seeing the blur that was mentioned.
    I hunted with a fixed 4x Widefield for many years...great scope finally wore all the coating off of it and retired her.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I am an absolute sucker for the old Redfield fixed power scopes and low power variables. A few months ago I bought a 30 year old 2x7 wideflield new in the box for $125. It was obvious that it had never been on a gun.

I must admit that the Monarch I looked through was the one and only I'd ever seen. Could have been a fluke, the distortion I saw. Just want to make that clear and tell everyone to make thier own decision on what they buy. Everyone focuses the eyepiece to thier own eye(s). That could be what threw me. You guys are using the eyepiece to focus the reticle, right?

Obviously my sample was limited, and want to clarify that.
    With that said, they do carry a good rep. But that one was enough to scare me. And I was in the market for several fixed 4x at the time. It did turn me off.

Bob

P.S. You will notice I slam the Leupold VX1 series because of internal flare. After dawn and before dusk just as bright and clear as you could wish. Have a grey sky, at last shooting hour and there are problems. I stand behind that given the several different scopes owned as well as different powers. Want to buy a Leupold? Start with the VX2 series. Or purchase one of the old Vari x 3's. Those trickled down to the new VX2 technology. Basicaly the same thing. Have some of those oldsters and have no problems with them.

buy a used leupold.

I get most of my scopes on Ebay. Might take a couple tries on different auctions but I have gotten very good deals there.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I'm not an expert, by any means, but I have a VX-I on my deer rifle and it works just fine. I've taken deer right at daybreak when my buddy couldn't see his iron sights. I'm sure an expensive one would be better, but it kills deer to 300 yards just fine. Eye relief is great plus lifetime warrenty...good enough for me. If you look around you should be able to get a new one for 200
    Nice Marmot.

Default Warning about Leupold on Ebay

I am sure Rmiller has had some good luck out there, but I wanted to mention that not everything is what it seems on ebay. Read the following link which is all about Leupold imitations from China.
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=35409

Not trying to burst any bubbles, just be careful out there, and remember if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast