Thread: skinning a fox tail

Default skinning a fox tail

What is the best way for skinning out a fox tail?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Proper Tools

Purchase a tail stripper or make your own very easy. Link is attached.......

http://www.snareshop.com/shopping-ca...ategory_id=117

Split the tail on the underside at least 3/4 of the way to the tip and skin the tail to that point. Once you have it skinned to the 3/4 point, grip the tail bone tightly between thumb and 1st finger, with other hand grab the tail bone and pull it through the thumb and 1st finger of the other hand, the skin will pop free and the tail bone will pull out. A scalpel or very small knife works best.

Default sharpen

One side of a letter opener gets way down there and cuts a straight line, couple times of that and peel it off. The further down you cut the skin the easier to get off
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default I skin just

enough to get a grip on the tail bone and pull the entire tail bone out. Then I take a tail splitter (this is a guide) and split the tail open. If you split and then try pulling the tail off, you have a high chance of ripping the tail off. I used to skin it all the way out, but once I figured out that I could pull the entire tail bone right out, I have NEVER broken a tail.

Default I agree

I do mine the same as northway, skin it down just enough to get a good grip with the tail puller, pull out the bone and then make my cut down the center of the tail.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Me three, 3/4" of skinning and pull. Now it isn't as easy as it sounds. It does take a pulling action that, until you rip a few tails, will take some getting used to. I skin just enough down(3/4") from the base and I take two fingers and slip the skinned tail bone in between them and sqeeze them(fingers) together, gripping the bone, as hard as you can. Now take the same two fingers of the opposite hand and slip them around the bone right next to your other hand but towards the tail, and again sqeeze together as hard as you can. Now your fists should knuckle to knuckle and in the center of your chest. While still squeezing the tail bone as hard as you can with your fingers, give I nice steady but hard pull( seperating your hands) until the tail bone pulls out of the tail. You will feel each bump of the bones in the tail pass thru your fingers as you pull. Make sure to keep pulling steady and hard until the complete tail bone is pulled free. I watched people, me included, loosen your grip towards the tip of the tail only to rip it(tip)off. I watched a trapping friend do it last year to a beautiful cross fox. It will take practice but once you get it down, or rip a few tips, you'll have no problem. Hope this helped, maybe try to find a local trapper to show you how on your first one. Good luck!!

I agree with the three trappers above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    I agree with the three trappers above.

Well I use slam 100's of fox in Montana and I found it was hard trying to get a blade down the tail so I LEARNED a long blade with a round tip worked the best for me, I'd get a nice straight cut without fighting all the underfur on the tail, try it you might learn something from a dumb old welder
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I pull the tail bone out the same way the other posters described above. Then I take the gut-hook side of a Wyoming knife and split the skin by inserting it in the hollow tail cutting down the underside so I can flesh it.

I broke a few beautiful tails by trying to skin them until I learned the pull method.
    Now what ?

Default Umbrella Stave

If you can find an old umbrella, the arms on them work great as a straight line guide for splitting tails. They usually are V shaped for strength and you can rest your knife point right in it. You can either pull the bone out first, or just slide the stave down the tail, set the blade in, and you've got a perfectly straight cut the length of the tail.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy