Thread: Any Idea What this revolver malfuntion is about?

Default Any Idea What this revolver malfuntion is about?

Hello,

I just bought a used revolver, fired it on double action when I bought it but am having a single action problem that I was looking for some help with.

The firearm is a Smith and Wesson 329 PD. It fires fine when firing double action. The problem is when the hammer is cocked back and you pull the trigger. When pulled the trigger releases the hammer but the trigger does not stay at the back of the trigger guard. It slams your finger forward with the force of the hammer coming down and if you don't come off of the trigger fast enough it will not fire the round. It would appear it is not firing the round because the weight of the hammer is on your finger and not the strike for the pin.

Also, if you have the hammer back and you slam your finger into the trigger, with alot of force, the trigger will stay back and the hammer fall normally. If you pull the trigger normally it won't cut the trigger loose from the hammer but will cut the hammer loose from it's lock throwing your finger forward

My understanding is that when I pull the trigger, it should stay back till I release it with my finger and it resets for the next double action trigger pull. Is that right?

So that's the problem, any ideas would be great. I asked the place I got it from to try and find out if they knew of any trigger work done or if they knew of the problem. Thought I'd see if anybody here had any ideas of a quick fix or what's wrong. Thanks
    Last edited by AKF; 10-29-2008 at 14:55. Reason: added stuff

I'm not sure what's causing it, but the good news is S&W has great waranty service even if you aren't the original purchaser.
    Call them & they will probably arrange to have it picked up by fed-ex or UPS & you'll likely have it back in les than a month.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Trigger Jamming?

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Hello,

I just bought a used revolver, fired it on double action when I bought it but am having a single action problem that I was looking for some help with.

The firearm is a Smith and Wesson 329 PD. It fires fine when firing double action. The problem is when the hammer is cocked back and you pull the trigger. When pulled the trigger releases the hammer but the trigger does not stay at the back of the trigger guard. It slams your finger forward with the force of the hammer coming down and if you don't come off of the trigger fast enough it will not fire the round. It would appear it is not firing the round because the weight of the hammer is on your finger and not the strike for the pin.

Also, if you have the hammer back and you slam your finger into the trigger, with alot of force, the trigger will stay back and the hammer fall normally. If you pull the trigger normally it won't cut the trigger loose from the hammer but will cut the hammer loose from it's lock throwing your finger forward

My understanding is that when I pull the trigger, it should stay back till I release it with my finger and it resets for the next double action trigger pull. Is that right?

So that's the problem, any ideas would be great. I asked the place I got it from to try and find out if they knew of any trigger work done or if they knew of the problem. Thought I'd see if anybody here had any ideas of a quick fix or what's wrong. Thanks
    Wow! You have an interesting gun.

If it were mine, I would take it apart and have a look-see. But then, I take all my guns apart.

The double action hammer release function is pretty much independent of the single action hammer release, so their difference in operability is not so surprizing. Since the hammer rotates on a pin that is linked to the trigger (the so-called "rebounding hammer" that prevents a firing pin strike if the trigger is not fully rearward). I suspect the movement of that axis pin is retarded or bound up, preventing proper motion of all the parts.

Be careful if you open your gun's side plate. Some parts are under spring pressure and tend to change position or even fly away if you are not careful. Take note of everything's position and how to put it back together. Best if you get an owner's manual before doing anything. Check S&W's web site. They probably have a downloadable .pdf file.

If you are not comfortable opening up the gun, send it to a gunsmith or to the manufacturer.

Good luck.

p.s. One thing that would be easy to try is to spray gun scrubber (or even compressed air) in every crevice of the action you can reach. If there is something gumming up the works, you might loosen it to the point where you could reach a diagnosis. Be sure to lube it up again afterward.

sometimes this can happen when the flat mainspring has been "detuned" (lightened by the frame screw or flat filed to reduce power), and the trigger rebound spring is full strength. remove your grips and check the spring....if needed replace it. cost is only a couple bucks. same for the trigger return spring.

skeeter skelton, former sheriff and gun practitioner wrote an excellent article in shooting times magazine. it was reprinted as "skeeter skelton on handguns" and may be available. guns & ammo magazine published "centerfire revolvers-troubleshooting & tuning". both of these (and others) may offer you answers for your questions as well as provide a better understanding of your weapons.

happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Hello,

..I have to ask, Do you have a lot of experience with D/A revolvers?............... When pulled the trigger releases the hammer but the trigger does not stay at the back of the trigger guard. It slams your finger forward with the force of the hammer coming down and if you don't come off of the trigger fast enough it will not fire the round. That's not the way it works. If the trigger comes forward before the hammer is down it will slide the hammer block into position and keep the gun from firing The only way the hammer and trigger spring can slam you finger forward is if you did not get the trigger pull enough to the rear and allow the d/a sear to release the hammer. It would appear it is not firing the round because the weight of the hammer is on your finger and not the strike for the pin. This, again, sounds like you do not get the trigger/hammer back enough to allow the hammer to fall off the d/a sear. Is there a trigger stop on the gun? A small rounded piece behind the trigger for a stop when it is rearward. Some S&W's have them others don't.

Also, if you have the hammer back and you slam your finger into the trigger, with alot of force, the trigger will stay back and the hammer fall normally. If you pull the trigger normally it won't cut the trigger loose from the hammer but will cut the hammer loose from it's lock (there is no hammer lock it simply rests on the trigger ) throwing your finger forward ...... I think it will if you just pull harder....this again seems like a trigger stop or the build up of crud inside because of too much of the wrong lube poured into the action which hold dirt and debris inside.

When you da/ pull the trigger, straight to the rear the hammer falls normally and fires the gun? Right? But when you cock the gun and pull the trigger, the rebound slide/trigger spring is the same force that pushes the trigger forward as with d/a pull. Your finger will only need 8 ounces to drop the trigger in single action but 8 to 12 pounds to cycle the triggger in double action, is this part of the problem?

My understanding is that when I pull the trigger, it should stay back (stay back but with about six pounds of force from the rebound spring, yes.) till I release it with my finger and it resets for the next double action trigger pull. Is that right? That's true and the rebound slide spring pushes the trigger forward when you release pressure on the trigger.
    It is my guess all this could be fixed by a $60 cleaning. It also seems like the springs are quite strong if I'm understanding things correctly. In any case they are simple to disassemble if you are of the nature to do so and all of those pieces inside need to to be clean and free of dirt and lube and have only a very slight grease on the contact points. The best is Brownells Action Lube. I've done action jobs on hundreds of S&W revolvers and have not found a broken or defective part to be the problem with an equal number of repairs...just crud.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the replies gentleman,
    Sounds like a deep cleaning is in order. I definately have a better understanding of how the action works. I have enough mechanical know how to feel confident that I can take the plate off and at least check out the level of gunk and clean it up.
    I'll let you know if it fixes it.
    Thanks

--Here's a thread on mine when I did a deep cleaning. Dont forget to load the handspring when re-assembling the revolver. It would cycle when barrel pointed down, but not up...

As far as dis-assembly/cleaning/re-assembly, if I can do it, likely you can also!--Dive in!

BTW, Take some pictures to post up here. I'd be interested in what you found...

I had a 1970s vintage N-frame that did that. It turned out that the sear (looks like a flat triangular piece of metal that sits in a groove on the hammer assembly.) was not machined correctly.

So it worked double action, BUT, the hammer /sear assembly would not properly disenage from the trigger. It would just ride the trigger back down.

After I changed out that part, (it piots with a little spring behind it) then all was well. You can also get the same problem if a bunch of junk gets gummed up around that part and keeps it from moving inside of the channel.

See part nuimber 039 on this old diagram.

http://www.marstar.ca/images/swrevolverb.gif
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well, it's completely cleaned up and properly lubricated and it's still doing the same thing.

Float pilot, that looks and sounds like the problem.

I'm going to call S&W in the morning.

Let us know what it turns out to be.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default smitty trouble

I had a problem with my 629 asked around here & everyone had ideas. The smartest thing i did was call S&W they said well you know it has a lifetime warrenty, just send them the gun & save yourself the internet gunsmithing. They even covered the next day return shipping, great cust service