Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Kodiak Accident

Default Another Kodiak Accident

Kodiak has been hard on hunters this year. Be safe out there...

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/570983.html

Default kodiak incident not accident

I don't consider it an accident. I have hunted Kodiak many times and I never pull out deer alone. When they limited bear hunts years ago the bears learned about the gun shot dinner bell. I'm not saying kill the bears, Im saying this could have been prevented. Hope the guy heals well and passes the word.

Sometimes folks become complacent and forget where they are. Anytime I'm bear country I'm on full alert. Situation could have been avoided but even if his buddy was there...would it have happened? Perhaps both would have been attacked and possible killed.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Sometimes folks become complacent and forget where they are. Anytime I'm bear country I'm on full alert. Situation could have been avoided but even if his buddy was there...would it have happened? Perhaps both would have been attacked and possible killed.
    agreed, this isn't montana where you only have to worry about bunny huggers.

Default hmmmm

Actually, Montana has a lot of grizzlies. But you're right-----it ain't Alaska. Just another reason to pack with a partner on Kodiak and bring a sat phone.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

here poor week fro guys from montana.... this is in the bow hunting forumhttp://www.helenair.com/articles/200...16_grizzly.txt
    seems you dont need to be in AK
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by sculpin View Post
    Actually, Montana has a lot of grizzlies. But you're right-----it ain't Alaska. Just another reason to pack with a partner on Kodiak and bring a sat phone.
    Yes but they're just pups and few and far between lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    here poor week fro guys from montana.... this is in the bow hunting forumhttp://www.helenair.com/articles/200...16_grizzly.txt
    seems you dont need to be in AK
    You know what bears say about boys from Montana, TASTE LIKE CHICKEN

Default Not just boys from Montana

If you look back about 8 years ago we had three mauling's. One mauling was a guy that had hunting Kodiak every year and died from bleeding out, and he was from Anchorage. The same year we had a older gentleman from the main land get steam rolled by a Sow while he as cleaning his deer...ended up killing the Sow with his knife (no bs).

In every one of these incidents people are coming back to kill sites after downing an animal and going after another or dragging the deer out.

If your coming to Kodiak, enjoy yourself and have a safe trip. Just be aware of your surroundings and take care of your animals quick.

We used to go fishing at saltry cove and hunt while going back and forth. we shoot a deer, it went on the wheeler and taken care of miles from kill site. I remember a youtube vidio where a guy shoots a deer and bang, a brownie was on it instantly. They have some well trained bears there.

Default Lessons learned the hard way...

We're pretty proficient at armchair quarterbacking here at times, but there are some obvious things here that may have prevented this tragedy, or at least made it more tolerable. Maybe it will help someone out there-

"He just got cornered by a bear, dragging a deer out, and the bears attacked him," Merja said. "At the moment, he was alone and he got away and he made it back to the cabin."

LESSON ONE: Don't drag your deer on Kodiak Island! If you do, you're just leaving a trail of cookie crumbs right to grandma's house. Quarter it and carry it in your pack instead! Folks from the Lower 48 are used to dragging their deer out. Do that in Alaska and you're a bear snack.

LESSON TWO: Don't hunt Kodiak alone! Looks like these guys were using the deer hunter's buddy system: "You go up this ridge, I'll go up the other, and we'll meet on top." Bad idea. Hunt with a buddy so one of you can stand guard while the other butchers the deer. This also allows you to split the deer between you so your pack is not so heavy.

"The men didn't have their own transportation and for communication only had a low-power marine VHF radio and no satellite phone... [the pilot] happened to be going over pretty close and he heard a weak Mayday, so he swooped in there and saw the situation. The guy was in too much pain to even be able to move him at all.."

LESSON THREE: Bring a satphone, and know how to use it! Write down the contact numbers for your air charter, and the closest emergency services available. These guys apparently waited TWO DAYS to be rescued.

The guys are right, folks; this is not Montana! It is different up here. I can understand being on a budget and all, but being properly equipped for emergencies is not optional. If you have to scratch something from the budget because of cost, don't let it be your emergency communication gear.

Hope it helps!

Our prayers are for Mr. Sutton and his family as he recovers.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Portions of Strahan's note:

"LESSON ONE: Don't drag your deer on Kodiak Island! If you do, you're just leaving a trail of cookie crumbs right to grandma's house. Quarter it and carry it in your pack instead! Folks from the Lower 48 are used to dragging their deer out. Do that in Alaska and you're a bear snack.

The guys are right, folks; this is not Montana! It is different up here."

-Rather than labeling as ignorant all hunters "from the Lower 48", you might take the incrementally minimal time to qualify your statement to say "hunters from the lower 48 who primarily hunt lowlands or areas with high road density".

-For what it's worth, there are portions of Montana (Absarokas, NW) where the gunshot is every bit the dinner bell it is on Kodiak, if not moreso because down there the bears aren't hunted at all and are very prolific in spots. There are also spots in the wilderness areas of the Western States where rescue is as challenging and help as logistically distant as anything on Kodiak. More accurate to say "This is not Texas!"

-Jerry

Default Gunshot dinner bell?

If the gunshot is such a "dinner bell" and the bears come running when you shoot, wouldn't a good way to hunt Kodiak bears be to go from ridge to ridge and shoot off a few rounds? I would be interested in knowing how many guides call bears in for their clients this way. Or if you see a bear and it is too far away, instead of trying to sneak up on it, why not blast a round or two into the air and have it come to you. It seems much easier than trying to sneak up on one through alders and brush.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    We are always in Bear country if you live our great state.

that well trained bears is a farce. they ain't well trained they just love the smell of dead deer, that video he's refering to is mine and the bear didn't come running the to gun shot, the bear was already chasing the deer when i shot it, he didn't speed up or throw confetti' when the gun went off.
    Bears would be all over the shooting ranges, duck ponds, mauling bear hunters as well as deer hunters, if they were that well trained it be a mess down there.
    Some bears may have it figured out, sometimes the bears are just close in and get wind of it and are there fast.
    But like said...don't drag out deer...my word think that one thru a little first....i'm gonna lead a blood trail right to.....oh me.
    be safe guys and keep your wits about you, bears ain't not dumb.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Some bears may have it figured out, sometimes the bears are just close in and get wind of it and are there fast.
    But like said...don't drag out deer...my word think that one thru a little first....i'm gonna lead a blood trail right to.....oh me.

there is an old indian addage....

you will see the leaf fall.....

the deer will hear it fall......

the bear smelled it fall.......

i would put the nose of a bear against any white tail or mule deer any time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I break all three lessons on every trip. I am rethinking the sat phone idea though.

As far as MT bears being small what size were the bears in these attacks? One of them was a sow with two cubs. It does not take a large bear to cause damage.

Just be alert. I have only been to Kodiak twice and was within 30' of bears each time. One of the times we saw the bear about 2 minutes after we had shot a deer and the bear was putting the sneak on us. We were talking out loud and in my opinion the bear did not feel like running off until it had circled enough down wind to get our sent.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    that well trained bears is a farce. they ain't well trained they just love the smell of dead deer, that video he's refering to is mine and the bear didn't come running the to gun shot, the bear was already chasing the deer when i shot it, he didn't speed up or throw confetti' when the gun went off.
    Bears would be all over the shooting ranges, duck ponds, mauling bear hunters as well as deer hunters, if they were that well trained it be a mess down there.
    The bears on Kodiak have figured out that gunshots mean food. I have
    seen them turn towards shots many times, In heavily hunted areas they associate it with dead deer and many hunters faced with a big bear give up their deer much like the russian river bears on salmon. Calling it a farce is a bit much. The point is, be careful when dressing deer in kodiak bear country.

Last year in Montana there were 7 hunters mauled by grizzlies with no deaths. This year there has only been one that I am aware of but there is 5 more weeks of hunting season.

I was wondering how many hunters were mauled by grizzlies last year in Alaska? It's not that I want to start a yearly Montana vs Alaska Grizzly bear mauling score.

Default You guys crack me up

You guys crack me up. Just because someone is from another state that has griz in it and the griz are not as big as the ones on Kodiak and are fewer in numbers really doesn't mean anything. Once again you are reading something out of a newspaper written by a "reporter" that recieved the story from "Fish and Game" that recieved the story from the "victim" who was most likely not all there when he was telling the story. I would have to assume that there has been someone native to Alaska that has been mauled by a griz before, what do you say to them, you from Montana?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast