Thread: Moving to Dutch Harbor question.

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Default Moving to Dutch Harbor question.

Hi all,

We used to live in Palmer and before that Haines. Currently packing up our house in Northern NH (laid off from my forester job) and dusting off the commercial diving helmet to go work for Magone Marine Salvage.

My question is what is there for shooting sports in Dutch/Unalaska? Are there any gun stores? Anywhere to shoot that won't get you arrested?

From what I've read there's no hunting for the most part. If there is, I would sure like to know. I love to hunt and fishing is a very distant second so anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Stay safe working for Magone.

I can't comment on hunting but the fishing is friggin fantastic. Lots of history on the island too. If diving is your game, tons of sites to see.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Dutch Harbor

They have a shooting range out at the end of the airport. Inquire at the police station, they will have info on who to contact as far as gaining access. When I was out there, (1999 - 2002), there was a local chapter of IDPA.(International Defensive Pistol Association). They also put together rifle matches and of course the bowling pin shoot. As far as hunting goes, there are ptarmigan and fox. PM me if you would like contact numbers and other info about the "Island".

Rick

Smile Ship Wrecks and Savage

You should watch that movie Ship Wrecks and Savage that was produced about Magone in the 1999-2000 time frame. That's some very crazy work. Look forward to an outrageous adventure. Be sure to invest in some life insurance so your wife and kids are taken care of. Be safe and good luck to ya.......

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

I had seen that video years ago when it first aired. It was very intriguing to say the least. I remember telling my wife that they looked like a cool outfit to be involved with way back then.

Why the life insurance reference? I though Magone had a sterling safety record. I'm a hardhat diver by trade so there's a certain amount of inherent risk but we are not suicidal by any means. I have a wife and 16 month old son that I look forward to seeing every night when I get home.