Thread: Sitka Jacket

Default Sitka Jacket

I am looking at picking up a Sitka Jacket. For use in still hunting and moderate movement in temps from 20 - 30 degrees and up. Any advice would be great. I like the 90% jacket but I am wondering if some of the newer products would better fit my needs?

I've been wearing my 90% jacket the last few weeks and when i'm not moving I tend to get a little cold. If you wear a fleece or something under it, it might work for you but If I were you i'd look for a different jacket. IMO the 90% is perfect for mild temps, say 45 and above.

I second Akhunter!
    For still hunting I would leave the sitka gear out of the equation all together. Too expensive and the patern isn't all that great untill you are above the trees. The mountain mimicry is the best pattern I have ever seen for chasing sheep and goats but it is nothing special in the woods. For light to moderate exertion I would choose one of the breathable super quiet garments that are redily available something like the browning gear etc. The higher cost on the sitka gear really pays of on multi day backcountry epeditions especially when your feet are your transportation.

Default 90% jacket

I own a 90% jacket. It truly lives up to it's name... IT has been left at home 90% of the time. The jacket is too light for most of what I do in Alaska. The fit and function of the jacket is nice but it just does not cut it when it's cold or when I'm still hunting.

If you have your heart set on one and you wear an xl let me know... It's only been worn on one hunt. It's not free but I'd part with it for a fair price...
    Last edited by WinMag; 10-29-2008 at 17:12. Reason: addtional info

Default 90% Lite?

Insulation-wise, it's more like a light fleece. The 2008 90% Jacket I picked up in Fairbanks (SW) was tagged "90% Lite". It seemed better suited to a warm (30's-50's) September hunt actually than the 2007 90% Jacket. With a synthetic jacket insulating layer (Barneys Brooks Range type jacket) underneath for chilly mornings, it was a little light, but great for the rest of the day, esp when active.

Afterwards, I emailed Sitka about 2008 vs 2007 jackets. Here's their reply:

"The 2008 90% Jacket is classified as "lite" because it is made a little
    lighter. It still serves the same function in general, it is just a bit less
    warm."

So, the 2008 jacket is on the light side, even lighter than the 2007 90%.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Nimbus

I hunted deer on Kodiak from the 18th-23rd of October, wearing my Nimbus jacket. Temps were typically in the 20s-30s, with lots of wind and snow/rain. I wore 2 light poly layers, a heavier poly shirt, and my nimbus jacket everyday and wouldn't have done anything different after the fact. We worked very hard for the deer we got, and hiking in this jacket was very comfortable. As said, still hunting in cool temps requires heavy jackets...and even then most of us get a little chilled!
    Last edited by sockeye1; 01-20-2009 at 07:49.

Default Nimbus

Someone else on AOD (Kahahawai?) gave Nimbus a thumbs up too.
    Maybe Nimbus is Sitka's one home run for 2008.

If considering any 2008 Sitka Gear, now should be time to watch for season-end discounts.

Default a little chilly

I wear my 90% jacket and like how it feels (great fall jacket), however, I will not wear it in sub freezing temps without adequate polar fleece underneath. It's a bit on the chilly side unless I'm constantly moving. Also, it resists water to an extent; it is definitely not water proof though (maybe something else to consider). I do like the pit-zips for when I'm hiking and heating up - a nice improvement on their earlier jacket versions. Durability is a thumbs up; the material from which it is made is unmatched as far as I am concerned. I don't know how Sitka Gear backs their products, because I have never had anything go wrong with their stuff, but for the price we pay I would expect no less than top service. Good luck with your decison. I hope this helps.