Thread: Need help with my video cam.....

Default Need help with my video cam.....

Bought that nice new fancy video camera "canon vixia HV30". Then I bought this video software program "pinnacle studio 12" to record the video's on the computer and create movies.

Camera....$800.00
    Video software.....$150.00
    Not being able to use it.....torquing me off!!!!!

Uhhhgggg.....

I plug the camera into the computer and nothing happens, I've turned on the program and tried it, turned it off and tried it and nothing. It's like my computer isn't sensing a "camera device". My diggy camera when plugged in auto loads up my photoshop and I can download the pics, but the video cam is a no go. I have reloaded the camera software and the pinnacle program, Uploaded new drivers for all sorts of things in my computer and nothing. I tried the pinnacle tech support and the only thing they could suggest was to buy some sort of "converter box?" I plug the cam into it then into the comp and it is supposed to be like a "reader"?

Any help?

Thanks, Curt

P.S. I am using a PC and have XP pro.

Did you turn the camera on after you connected it to your pc?

Are you using a fire wire connection or USB? Apparently USB will only allow you to transfer still images and you need firewire to move video?
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=168

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Are you using a fire wire connection or USB? Apparently USB will only allow you to transfer still images and you need firewire to move video?
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=168

LuJon, thanks so much! No I do not have a firewire cable, just a USB that it came with. At least my head will stop hurting from beating it against the wall!

I'll pick one up in town tomarrow, thanks man.

Curt

Default firewire

I'm surprised at the response you got from the tech support. I'm also surprised your camera manual or software documentation doesn't mention the firewire connection. Do you have a firewire port on your computer?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    I'm surprised at the response you got from the tech support. I'm also surprised your camera manual or software documentation doesn't mention the firewire connection. Do you have a firewire port on your computer?
    Yea, the tech support was actually a joke!? The manual gave a few types of cables to use so I figured it should work on all? nope, looks like firewire is the ticket but, I have also learned that my computer has the bare minimum to run this software so, I am going to upgrade the old computer to a nice shiny new dell lap top at the tune of $4450.00 ... Yea, I know, but I loaded it up to the hilt! Even added a "blue ray" burner in it.