Thread: Is the rut over?

Default Is the rut over?

I've heard of bulls dropping their rack already and today I caught up with three bulls bedding together. One very nice bull maybe over 60, one about 45-50 and a bullwinkle. I was suprised to say the least. Anyway, if one was to have a late season permit would calling still be effective?

Default calling

I wouldnt plan on calling one in at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    I wouldnt plan on calling one in at this point.
    Or if you do, please have to video camera ready!

Default Rut

Went flying this weekend and saw a big bull still with cows, saw four bulls last weekend not with cows, I think its hit or miss.

Terry

We saw a bull with 4 cows on Saturday in Delta. Well he HAD 4 cows when whe spotted him but he left with three <grin>

Shouldn't the "2nd estrus" (cows not bread the 1st cycle starting again) be starting about now?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

To be technically correct, the cows that have been impregnated are over the rut. The cows that were not impregnated will go into ester for a 2nd time around 23 days from the first time.
    A bull moose like any male is always in rut so to speak. Yes calling will work; the bull may not come running. Even a bull moose can take only so much of a good thing.

Most hunters donít understand the word ďrutĒ has several stages. What an animalís sex, age, time of year will determine what itís doing in the rut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    To be technically correct, the cows that have been impregnated are over the rut. The cows that were not impregnated will go into ester for a 2nd time around 23 days from the first time.
    A bull moose like any male is always in rut so to speak. Yes calling will work; the bull may not come running. Even a bull moose can take only so much of a good thing.

Most hunters donít understand the word ďrutĒ has several stages. What an animalís sex, age, time of year will determine what itís doing in the rut.
    And there you have it straight from the horses....er "mooses" mouth

Default rut

Also, the second cycle is nothing like the first. Rank has been established between bulls for the most part and some of these cows hanging with bulls are coming into estrus, there wont be a big to do when shes ready.

Sure, you may call in a bull but my money is on finding a vantage point to locate a mature moose, if thats what your after. Good luck.

Default Hmmm...

When it comes to questions about moose rut, NEVER argue with a guy named "Rutting Moose".

:-)
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay