Thread: Denali Highway report.

Default Denali Highway report.

Went up the Denali Highway looking for rabbits and Ptarmigan. Saw more rabbit tracks than I could believe, but found 0 rabbits. Saw 2 Ptarmigan and shot 1 and killed a nice red fox. I'll have pics soon. Saw a big caribou bull but could do nothing but shoot him with the camera. Lots of fox tracks and rabbit tracks. Couldn't believe I didn't see any hares, I walked to hell and back and didn't kick up one. Weather was great though. Was glad to get that fox, he has a pretty decent hide on him. Had fun though. great to get out of the house and hunt for once.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

what did you shoot the fox with?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

Im going to go out on a limb here...............ummmm ... a gun perhaps

How far is the road open? Can you still drive across to paxston?

Not sure if your meaning Denali Hwy=parks Hwy from Wasilla to Fbks or the road between Cantwell and Paxston which is the Denali Hwy.

We drove a good 30 miles in and we turned around simply because of time, not due to snow. I shot the fox with a .270, (to say it made a little mess is an understatement). Hit him in the side of the head. didn't know what hit him
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It will be a couple weeks before i have the chance to head up there but thanks for info on road condition.

That area is so beautiful year round, but makes for a long day thats for sure. I need to do some research on where a guy can spend the night with his wife and 2 kids to make it a little more enjoyable than 8hrs couped up in the dodge quad cab castle.

Thanks again Pikes P

Good Hunting