Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DB228 success

Default DB228 success

I got this small one on saturday, we saw about 10 other bears including sows and cubs.

He squared 8' 3"
    Last edited by FLBEN; 10-28-2008 at 15:40. Reason: trying to get the picture to work

Congrats Ben!
    Nice bear & a great picture!!
    Is there a story that goes with the bear??????
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

small??? lol don't knock that bear man! you realize resident skull size average is only about 21 inches?! 8 foot bears are still nice bears....i haven't ever shot myself an 8 footer.congrats!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fine looking bear !

Real Nice bear.

Nice bear thanks for sharing.

See any monsters?

I hunted there in 2005 and saw a giant bear. Only saw 4 bears in 21 days though.

I am going there in the spring myself. Dont think I would pass on one like yours.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Thanks for the compliments

Thanks for the all the compliments. We went into the area on Friday morning and set up camp. After that, we climbed up above Saltrey lake, and glassed until dusk. We saw a bunch of bears but all smaller then the one we shot, we also only say three deer as well. On Saturday morning we put on our chest waders and crossed the creek then threw our boots on and started out towards the lake, thats when we saw this guy fishing. I decided that I wanted to look at him and since we were a third of a mile from camp it made it all the more enticing. We climbed a little rock pile above the lake and ranged him at just over 200 yards. I told my hunting partner that if by some miracle the bear walked up the lake to the river and crossed the river and turned at us we would take him, and believe it or not the bear did.

As soon as he was on our side of the river the adrenaline started pumping pretty good. When he got to about 11 yards I whistled to stop him and I shot. He went straight down for about 5 seconds and stood up and started heading into the lake, three shots later and he was down for good, and thats when the work started.

I can say that was the first time I shot my 375 and didn't notice the recoil.

I was shooting Barnes bullets and recovered two, I can post a picture of them if anyone would like.

Looks like a respectable bear. Nice dark hide.

Congrats - looks like a fine bear to me!

Default Great Bear!

That is not a small bear!! Did you see other hunters? What airtaxi did you use?

Arrow Great Bear

Thats a absolutely great bear and I would love to have him here on my floor I think he has everything good color ,great head and claws. I realize there are bigger bears around but I think you have a mighty good one there and he sure will look great on the floor or wall...Congradulations and may God bless you and yours. Ronnie

Default Great Bear!

Congrats on a Beautiful Kodiak Bear!!

What are you going to do with him?

Rug or Shoulder mount?
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    That is not a small bear!! Did you see other hunters? What airtaxi did you use?
    Didn't see any other hunters, We went in via Saltery cove road with a buddies jeep. We did bump into a couple of guys my buddy knew but they were chasing the few silvers left in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ HUNTN AK View Post
    Congrats on a Beautiful Kodiak Bear!!

What are you going to do with him?

Rug or Shoulder mount?
    Thanks, I am going to have a rug done.

Congrats on a fine bear. Any legal bear is a shooter. I would not be ashamed to harvest that bear at all. The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. The hunt is the true trophy. The harvested animal is just a reminder of good times in the woods with friends and family.

11 yards is mighty close. I am sure the adreniline gates were wide open. What a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by FLBEN View Post

As soon as he was on our side of the river the adrenaline started pumping pretty good. When he got to about 11 yards I whistled to stop him and I shot.
    "The adrenaline started pumping" would be a huge understatement!!!!!

I'm not sure where your unit is but had a friend who's a local in Port Lions that got his Monday, an 8 footer, & he's tickled!

By the way, I'd love to see the bullets.
    I'm thinking about Triple Shocks for my 358 Norma but I wish they made a 250 & not just a 225 (in 358). My buddy in Port ions was also using a 375 with Tripple shocks. 1st one @ 100 yds went thru both shoulders (& the heart) & exited. Went down, got up & ran. 2nd shot was in the spine & put him down for good. Said it went thru about 3' of bear & he recovered it.
    Great story, & again, a beautiful bear.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    "The adrenaline started pumping" would be a huge understatement!!!!!

I'm not sure where your unit is but had a friend who's a local in Port Lions that got his Monday, an 8 footer, & he's tickled!

By the way, I'd love to see the bullets.
    I'm thinking about Triple Shocks for my 358 Norma but I wish they made a 250 & not just a 225 (in 358). My buddy in Port ions was also using a 375 with Tripple shocks. 1st one @ 100 yds went thru both shoulders (& the heart) & exited. Went down, got up & ran. 2nd shot was in the spine & put him down for good. Said it went thru about 3' of bear & he recovered it.
    Great story, & again, a beautiful bear.
    Thanks for sharing.

What grain bullets are they?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default nice bear

great job, any fair chase, non-guided kodiak is a true trophy you should be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    What grain bullets are they?
    They are 270

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast