Thread: Moose Lower Nowitna Bear Creek & Yuki/Bishop

Default Moose Lower Nowitna Bear Creek & Yuki/Bishop

Moose:

Lower Nowitna (DM 805) Bear Creek Drainage (DM 814&815) & Yuki/Bishop Creek Drainage (DM 816).

I am looking for info about access (From what I see planes are not allowed) success, hunting pressure etc.

I am guessing some of these areas are tough draws because they are close to Galena?

Any general info like how hunting was, how many hunters I could expect to see, how many and how big the moose are etc would be great. I am considering adding one of these 3 units as a 3rd choice for my moose application.

I have researched these areas on the AK website but I am looking for any first hand insight you might have.

**** near anything between the bridge and Galena will be loaded with hunters. I've seen all sorts of sized moose. I haven't been up in a few years but it can be a successful hunt if you work it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

the better question is who is gonna get you into the bush? Only one outfit up there and he charges 6250 to fly you out . And that is if he will because it is not where he normally hunts his guys and it may be an inconvenience to him . Trust me I know first hand from only 6 weeks ago.

Good point, I forget to mention I am NOT paying the flight service costs up there - period (unless one day they drop down under $1,500 per person - and offer access to some great areas). I had planned to boat hunt.

My plan is to rent in Galena and head to the unit and hunt, also renting a smaller raft to get back up smaller creeks etc. I am concerned about issues leaving boat and main camp for several days at a time.

Is this doable?

IIRC F&G live out at the mouth of the Nowitna/Yukon to record antleres/tags so I imagine negative people encounters are rare. I've found folks are either extremely helpfully up there, or they simply don't want you up there hunting. I've known guys to run a zodiak out of Ruby and up the Yuki on their own
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed