Thread: Lab barking

Thumbs up Lab barking

This doesn't have much to do with hunting but I have a 8 month old lab ans she never barks any suggestions on how to make her do so would be mutch appreciated. Thanks.

I want to know how you keep her from barking. My lab gets me up 2 times a night, walks out on the deck, barks about 3 times, scratches his ear, and comes back and goes right to sleep. It is like he needs to check out the area to ensure that all is well.

Default Barking Collar

I used a barking collar on my. fixed that problem in a hurry. I am located in the Anchorage Area and I would be happy to loan you mine, if you want to try it.
    Louis

Coho,

My Shepard wouldn't bark either (unless there was a moose or another animal around). I was trying to get him to speak on command and was instructed to use his favorite toy. My dog loves to retrieve sticks and balls to no end. I took his current favorite stick and showed it to him and got him wound up like I was going to throw it then hid it behind my back and told him to speak. I continued to show it and hide it until he couldn't take it anymore and would FINALLY bark. Then I threw the stick as a reward while praising him.

He has now gotten pretty consistent with the speak command and his "recreational" barking has picked up too. It's rare for someone to make it in the yard without him letting us know.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    I used a barking collar on my. fixed that problem in a hurry. I am located in the Anchorage Area and I would be happy to loan you mine, if you want to try it.
    Louis
    I better pass on the collar. I am afraid my wife might use it on me. I think she trained the dog to wake me up so she can get to sleep before I start snoring again. I am afraid that if the collar worked on the dog I would wake up with it around my neck with the control in her hand. That might be a cure to snoring but I don't want to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    I better pass on the collar. I am afraid my wife might use it on me. I think she trained the dog to wake me up so she can get to sleep before I start snoring again. I am afraid that if the collar worked on the dog I would wake up with it around my neck with the control in her hand. That might be a cure to snoring but I don't want to find out.
    Now thats some funny sheet right there hahahahahahaha! None of my Labs ever barked either unless they heard a strange noise,but then again I trained them not to bark unless something is going on outside.With my bad hearing they help me,now my Black Lab would let me know when the phone would ring.
    I also trained them to ht the bell with there nose so i could hear someting when they wanted to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    ...I also trained them to ht the bell with there nose so i could hear someting when they wanted to go out.
    We also trained with the bells on the door. It really helps as if I ignore or don't hear him as he gets real insistent. He has the funniest look on his face when the bells fall off or someone takes them off. He keeps hitting the handle with his nose and nothing. When my daughter house sits she takes them off because she gets tired of getting up to let him out. I figure better to get up then clean an accident although there hasn't been an accident since he was about 9 months old. Maybe he just has me trained.