Thread: Removing Salmon skin before smoking

Default Removing Salmon skin before smoking

Just wondering if anyone can explain the benefit of removing the skin from Salmon before smoking it? If I remove the skin before smoking am I looking to get the pellicule all the way around the fish before smoking it? Will non-stick spray on the racks affect the pellicule?

I remove the skin on my salmon before smoking. I also cut the fillet into chunks before I put the meat in a brine. I tend to smoke all my salmon that are not copper river reds. I find all other salmon infieror and taste horrible. I remove the skin so the brine soaks through both sides, and the smaller chunks help for complete absortion of flavor. Before smoking I will coat the racks with pam.

If you want a great way to de-skin a salmon fillet I know of a technique that does so in under 10 seconds. And all you need is a good set of needle nose pliers.

Default Pliers and pellicules

Thanks for the info. I believe that I've read your needle nosed pliers method somewhere else in the forum. Insert at the triangle of fat below the skin closest to where the gill plate was located and pull like hell right?

Back to the pellicule question. Am I looking for it to form on the skin side also and will the non-stick spray affect it?

Mark

I leave the skin on during smoking, and prefer to even can that smoked salmon with the skin. It seems to me that processing the fish without the skin helps dry it out too much. Most of the fish oil is in and under the skin, and the oils help keep it moist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Airborne View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can explain the benefit of removing the skin from Salmon before smoking it?

i always remove the skin... i simply can not stand getting scales on my lip, while i smoke my fish
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I remove the skin before smoking fish. I also cut the fillets into 1"x2" or so chunks so the brine soaks in evenly and you end up with nice bite-size pieces. I dry the fish on the racks that go in the smoker, and once during the drying process i'll turn each piece over. This helps the pellicule form on all sides and it seems that the pieces come off the rack easier when done.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ..... i simply can not stand getting scales on my lip, while i smoke my fish
    I scale the fish before processing it with the skin.