Thread: flotation pods

Default flotation pods

Anyone runnin floation pods on there boats? How do you like them???

I've got them on my SeaArk 1652JT (jet tunnel). I've got a 50hp Tohatsu TLDI (light 2-stroke) on the back. When I first got the boat it didn't have the pods. I thought while at rest the boat even empty was stern heavy and sat low, plus with just me at the tiller (200lbs) the bow would rise way up before coming back down when on step and in a really big wind the bow wouldn't even come down.

I was at a boat show and saw SeaArks flotation pods so I bought a pair. With the pods mounted as low as possible, the boat rests pretty level and the boat jumps on plane with just me at the stern. The pods really work.

With two people in the boat the boat didn't need the pods as it hopped up on plane no problem and at rest it was level. I through bolted them on the boat but welding them on would be better. Also putting the pods on the stern meant that I lost the ability to have a small kicker motor so figure that into your situation.

Default Pods

The pods will reduce the lift of having too much weight at the stern. they also will ad a significant amount of surface area/ weight capacity to the boats original weight capacity. They will help reduce draft increasing shallow water running. The major difference to me is they increase the weight and length of the boat slighty.
    As far as a kicker, most river boats don't use one. If you want a kicker mount. Get as close as posiibleto the motor and bolt/weld on a piece of 4" heavy aluminum angle to mount the kicker. Since it's used infrequently anyway.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Hey Sobie

How much were the pods? I was/am taking my 22' SeaArk into Greatland Welding to have extensions welded on the back as well as some other work. He does that vs the pods. My boat is quite a bit heavier than yours although I suppose everything is relative. If if helps to run in a little shallower water I'm all for it. I don't have a tunnel, but my other reasoning for the extensions is to mount my transducer to so I don't have to put a whole in the transom. I did see a guy launching at the Deshka with the pods this past summer and he said he liked them. That's what got me thinking about them originally. Gary at Greatland said his extensions have the same effect, if I remember correctly he said it was like $700ish. Thanks!

I have the Beavertail (http://www.explorebeavertail.com/flo...podsintro.html) pods on my 20ft seaark w/ Honda 90. All I can say is that it is the best improvement I have added to my boat. They were worth every penny. My hole shot is amazing. I no longer worry about whether or not I have enough water under my foot. For the most part if the boat is floating and not hitting bottom the pods keep my back end from dipping down and picking up rocks at take off. It happens every now and then but its rare. With the pods I can stay on step at slower speeds and with more weight. I can also carry more weight. I do not have any problems with cavitation which was a big concern before I bought them. I did not have any drop in speed whatsoever. I did notice the backend did not slide as easily as prepod. This isn't a negative, its just something I noticed. The other bonus to the pods is you have a nice place to stand when cleaning out the foot. You no longer have to hop out in the shallows or at the bank. Just climb out on the pod and get cleaning. I am 260 lbs and they can withstand a heck of a lot more I'm sure.
    I paid $400 dollars for mine including the shipping. They only charged 25 to ship to Fairbanks. I had mine welded on at Karolds for 100 I think. Get them and you won't be sorry.

Thumbs up floatation pod

Here's one I did for my little longshaft, next one I'd change a bit. Sure made a differance how the boat floated.
    Last edited by ironartist; 01-21-2010 at 12:04.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Beavertail Pods are Good

Here is my old boat with pods.
    Pods must be designed so that they do not result in any drag when running on step. This requires them to tilt inward from the sides slightly and upward from the bottom slightly. Beavertail has this figured out very well. Some of the boxy pods I have seen on Sea Arks from the factory look very poorly designed with respect to these issues.

PS: I still have the twin mud motor for sale (2 each in-line 23HP Vanguards) if anyone is interested send me a PM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by titobandito; 10-30-2008 at 00:57. Reason: typo

Ok in an effort to brings this back to life for selfish reasons, I just heard about pods. Can someone tell me why they wouldn't work on all types of boats? I have a G31860WOJF with the 90hp 4-stroke Yami and am being told by the brilliant guy that answers the email at G3 that he does not recommend them for my boat even though G3 had to send 12in x 12in trim tabs to me for the boat to even think about planing. I am not an engineer, but they pass the physics test to me. I canít see why they would not work. Can one of our engineers or experienced members educate me on this? If anyone needs more info on my boatís issues search threads for engineer help or PM me for the long version. I have really had a bad luck string on jet boats.

Default Try this

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Ok in an effort to brings this back to life for selfish reasons, I just heard about pods. Can someone tell me why they wouldn't work on all types of boats? I have a G31860WOJF with the 90hp 4-stroke Yami and am being told by the brilliant guy that answers the email at G3 that he does not recommend them for my boat even though G3 had to send 12in x 12in trim tabs to me for the boat to even think about planing. I am not an engineer, but they pass the physics test to me. I canít see why they would not work. Can one of our engineers or experienced members educate me on this? If anyone needs more info on my boatís issues search threads for engineer help or PM me for the long version. I have really had a bad luck string on jet boats.
    Call the folks at beavertail pods and ask their engineer; what the GOOd/BAd/UGLY lowdown is for application to your boat. All pods are not shaped the same nor do they increase/decrease performance the same.
    That a set of pods wouldn't help your boat is beyond me, but my boat isn't like yours.
    Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I like informing all about the responses and service I get from various companies and keep everyone informed just in case they have the same issues. G3 basically just told me that they canít recommend a pod. I asked why, they responded that they could not recommend pods, even though they make them. Now Beavertail emailed me back with a name and number to call so that they could make an informed recommendation. That is customer service. Thanks for the info on them everyone. Cliff, if you read this I am emailing you the traffic for your own SA.

Default Beavertail

Deethunter said they charged him $25.00 shipping to Fairbanks this past summer. I called them last week and they want $260.00 for shipping to Palmer. I spoke to one of their people there and he told me the post office "WILL NOT" ship/take their pods. They only weigh like 21 pounds each. I asked him to box them up individually and send them USPS but he was adament and we were on the verge of arguing. So I can only conclude that they are ripping people off and making money on shipping by ONLY using UPS Ground. I tried to plead my case by telling him how UPS ground is the most expensive way to get anything to Alaska. His attitude was basically, too bad. I was going to give it another shot next week and hopefully speak to someone else. I'll post when I get an answer.

Default beavertail

I was told by them they had 2 sizes of pods large and small. I am going to fab a set for my 14' and when finished I'll post some pics of them.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Web site

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I was told by them they had 2 sizes of pods large and small. I am going to fab a set for my 14' and when finished I'll post some pics of them.
    Their web site says they have 3 sizes of pods. My next boat will have tham as well.

Ironartist, I always would prefer to keep my money local. If you come up with a viable design, are you will to do the work for those of us interested?