Thread: Thinkin' of Hinchinbrook

Default Thinkin' of Hinchinbrook

Just looking for people's experiences and thoughts on this one. Next year my dad is planning on coming up to Alaska and would like to do a brown bear/deer hunt and was thinking of hitting up Hinchinbrook and staying in one of the Forest Service cabins. I have never been to Hinchinbrook, but see it all the time from a distance and everyone I talked to has their little hot spot for deer and nobody has stayed at the cabins. They say for bear, just go up the rivers in Cordova. Anyway, I was thinking about trying to do both on the island. My dad really wants a bear and I would rather shoot some deer for the freezer but would gladly help out dad on what he wants to do. I have my own boat that is very sea worthy and doesn't draw a lot of water. Could I get some information on Double Bay and Shelter Bay like is it is deep enough to anchor and tie off to a tree or something on the beach? Rocky bottom vs. soft bottom. I looked at the tides for the middle of October next year and see they'll be getting bigger as the hunt progresses. I have all the gear needed, but have not been to these bays yet...this summer I'll try to check them out. I've done a search and haven't found much about the bays. I looked at some charts, but local knowledge is important also, which I am looking for. Any info or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try and pick up a copy of Lethcoes (sp?) cruising guide to the sound. It will tell you what you need to know about anchoring in those bays and many others.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What type and how big of boat do you have - Access to the cabins will somewhat depend on that. PM me if you want some specific info - I have pictures of the areas

Default Shelter Bay

Waldo,

I have stayed at the cabin in Shelter Bay and you probably don't want to take your boat in there. You access it up a river that is about .25 to .5 mile long. It might be passable at high tide but not even close at low tide for any boat you would take on the salt.

Randy

Default double bay

The cabin sits on a creek mouth at the east inside of the bay. anywhere near the cabin, your boat will go dry at low tide. rocky bottom near the cabin. a creek will continue to flow, but its not enough to get in or out at low tide. hunting near most cabins is bad because of the constant pounding it gets from hunters. this cabin is no exception, but it you go up about 500-700' in elevation, it gets alot better. also boat to the west side for better opportunities. picture shows about mid low tide. boat was a rental skiff that charter boat left for us. it eventually goes much lower. and the highest tides come up to the cabin steps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys for the info. For those of you that are curious, my boat is a 24' Pacific Skiff that will prabably draw about 2 feet when fully loaded. It is made of welded aluminum. I will also have a kayak if needed that will be on the beach with me to retrieve the boat. I'll take a look at some publications I have access to right now and I will for sure check these out during the summer when the weather is ideal. Just like everyone else, you hope a hunt goes well, and especially well when you take your dad. Again, thanks for the information guys, it is greatly appreciated!

Sent you a PM