Thread: Winter ramp question

Default Winter ramp question

I just got my boat (a 24' Pacific Skiff) this past spring and I still want to use it this winter. I plan on still using it this winter out of Homer for sea ducks and fishing and I have a question for ya'll when launching. I have snow tires on my truck, but just standard tires on the trailer. I can imagine that the ramp gets slick with ice and snow, and not wanting to be sliding all the way into the water or jack knifing, so you guys put chains on your truck and trailer or do anything special for those winter trips?
    My boat and trailer weigh about 4000lbs if that matters, and my truck is plenty big enough to tow it. Just looking for input and trying to avoid a potential disaster. Thanks.

My boat is not that heavy but just plane old 4wd works for me.

Better safe than sorry. I would chain up if it was icy. When I splashed mine for the first time this past April, we linked two 3/4 tons together to get down teh ramp in Whittier, but my boat weighs about twice what my pickup does. Why not just slip it?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My father pulled a large boat out during the winter for a friend (in Homer) yeah the truck slid like crazy, it was sketchy the whole time. Bring gravel, chains, second back up truck, and some serious common sense. Its a slick water ladden steep incline with a giant weight pulling toward the drink!

Having used the boat as a water brake before on an icy ramp I can say put the chains on. I was lucky to keep it straight. The water hitting the back of the boat stopped the slide and then my truck stopped once on wet ramp under the water. I was able to put chains on the front and get out, but not a great experience that I would offer up. Play it safe and chain up!

If you do make a bad judgment call and find yourself sliding down the ramp just chase the boat to the water and you can then get stopped. If you plant your foot on the brake pedal you are just along for the ride. Locked up front tires will not steer you where you want to go. Find a big empty parking lot and practice backing up your trailer at 20 mph and then you will be prepared to fly down the ramp backward chasing the boat.