Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout Effects on Alska Fisheries from Ted Steven's Conviction

Default Fallout Effects on Alska Fisheries from Ted Steven's Conviction

Ted Stevens was convicted today of seven felony counts of not reporting gifts from Bill Allen / VECO.

Ted and his son, Ben, have been involved in Alsaka fisheries for quite dome time and many stories- accurate or not - have circulated around both of these men's involvement with tne commerical fisheries in Alaska.

What will be the fallout from these convictions? Rumor has been that they will go after Ben next -the Feds raided his house the same time as they raided his Dad's place and offices. Will Ben be next to go and will he take any body in the fisheries business with him?

There will be lots of other effects but please keep this focused on the the fallout and effects on our fisheries. Will there no be less federal money and support for the commercial fleet, less federal money for fishing and rural communities etc? Will additional corruption be uncovered or exposed etc. now that the door is open?

If a Democrat gets elected what will happen to our fisheries- anything?

We are living in interesting times to be sure!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak
    Ted and his son, Ben, have been involved in Alsaka fisheries for quite dome time and many stories- accurate or not - have circulated around both of these men's involvement with tne commerical fisheries in Alaska.
    Odd you don't mention Ted's involvement with Bob Penney and the sport fishery...does KRSA's Kenai River Classic ring a bell?

Default Ted/Ben

Well, commercial or sport there's an odor and the smell is not good for Alaska.

I agree tcman. It's a sad situation for Alaska, but at the same time a step in the right direction.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    Originally Posted by tvfinak
    Odd you don't mention Ted's involvement with Bob Penney and the sport fishery...does KRSA's Kenai River Classic ring a bell?
    Ted Stevens was under investigation when questions about his earmarks for the Kenai River and KRSA were raised. No charges were brought by federal prosecutors regarding that issue, and Ted has been through the court system with regard to corruption. Unless new information is forthcoming, I fail to see why charges wouldn't have already been pursued.

Ben Stevens is another story altogether. He's so deep in doo-doo that the Justice Dept. is still digging. And for the first time, I found reference to where and how all this started:

One of the most powerful members of the Senate for nearly three decades, Ted Stevens built a loyal following in Alaska by protecting and promoting the key industries of oil and fishing, and by bringing home legendary buckets of federal spending for his constituents' pet projects. (An episode of the TV series "West Wing" once showed two aides joking about outrageous fictional earmarks. Except one of the earmarks was real, brought in by Stevens: $2 million to monitor Alaskan skies for volcanic ash.)......

........The federal probe apparently was spurred by an investigation published in June 2003 by the Los Angeles Times. The Times said the senator's activities had "furthered his son Ben's career as a consultant," citing financial disclosure reports showing that a dozen companies and organizations who benefited from Ted Stevens' efforts paid Ben Stevens, "at least $754,976 in consulting fees for part-time work over the last three years."......
    I'm hearing more and more about JL Properties, too, which also features Mark Begich. I'm wondering if DoD investigations might bring more to light:

.......In December of 2003, the Times and the Anchorage Daily News reported in more detail on the Stevens family finances. Stevens became rich by investing with an Anchorage real estate developer, John Rubini. One $50,000 investment grew to an asset worth at least $750,000, the newspapers said. At the time, both newspapers said, Stevens was helping Rubini obtain a Pentagon contract for $450 million to build housing on Elmendorf Air Force Base.........
    With regard to Ben Stevens and the commercial fishing industry (his words):

......FAGAN: How much money did you receive in consulting money from these fish processors in which you were a part of funneling money to?

STEVENS: I didn't receive anything ... I've got a 30-year relationship with the fishing business. I've been working for many entities, and for many companies and some of that overlapped, but it didn't have anything to do with what happened on that board.

Stevens was chairman of the Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board, which awarded millions of dollars of federal money to fisheries companies. Stevens received consulting fees from some of those companies.

When Fagan called those fees kickbacks, Stevens said he was wrong. "I had relationships with those companies before I was ever a member of the board.".......

......"I'm not at liberty to talk about that," Stevens said. "It's under investigation. I'm under investigation by the Department of Justice, the FBI, the IRS, the National Marine Fisheries Service. I'm not talking about that."......
    More:

Federal authorities investigating public corruption in Alaska recently peppered the North Pacific commercial fishing industry with grand jury subpoenas seeking financial records and other documents.........

.......Now the state's vast commercial fishing industry -- much of it headquartered in Seattle -- seems to be a major area of interest for investigators, based on reports of numerous subpoenas served on industry players in mid-November.

"I can confirm that there's been a general subpoena put out to a number of entities in the fishing industry," said John Bundy, president of Glacier Fish Co., a Seattle-based firm that operates fishing ships in the Bering Sea.

Bundy, a member of the federal council that helps regulate major fisheries off Alaska, declined to say whether his own company received a subpoena, or to name others......
    I'm patient. As far as I'm concerned, the longer it takes to indict the Prince indicates to me that they're digging deep.

Default Commercial fishing is where the big money is

The Feds are apparently after the big money issues with the commercial fisheries - possible corruption in sport fishing is hardly worth noticing in comparison. The Feds must chose the biggest and most important targets on which to focus their limited efforts and attention.

Public perception in the lower 48 is another concern- the big commercial fishing fleet catching tons of fish and netting millions of dollars will get a lot more attention than a few salmon in a small river.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Looks like Mark/tvfinak have launched yet another attack against the commercial fishery, and this time they lobby with the Ted Stevens issue as their platform. It's a shame that's all this forum is anymore...Mark/tvfinak's anti-commercial fishing platform.

Another one bites the dust....

Mark

Plenty of reference there, including Ben Steven's own words.

Them's just the facts, as we know them so far. Ben Stevens is under investigation, and part of that investigation involves possible corruption within the commerical seafood industry.

Mark do you know what the CDQ program is?

I only mention it as you rail against commercial fishing in my view, and you highlighted the portion that said something along the lines of Headquartered in Seattle.

It also mentioned Glacier fish. Did you know that Glacier fish is 50% owned by Alaskans? By a CDQ group fact. Also TV when you keep mentioning your feeling on commercial fishing and many mention that you are talking about Fellow alaskans.........do you understand CDQ? Did you know that a LARGE portion of our commercial catch is now owned one way or another by very poor rural areas of our state? I have a hard time getting totals of just what is owned. (I have never said the CDQ program is perfect) I know they now own more than most would guess.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    ....you highlighted the portion that said something along the lines of Headquartered in Seattle....
    Was that incorrect?

.....It also mentioned Glacier fish. Did you know that Glacier fish is 50% owned by Alaskans? By a CDQ group fact.....
    The article states:

......John Bundy, president of Glacier Fish Co., a Seattle-based firm that operates fishing ships in the Bering Sea.......
    Now, I can't say I know exactly how CDQs work, but I'm intimately knowledgable about other "partnership" programs, especially those dealing with Alaska Native Corporations, partnering firms, and Ted Stevens.

They've been under investigation, too.............

Man your quotes just kill me. lol.

I asked as I think very few understand the CDQ program and how much they actually own.......including the reporter.

Mark

Man your quotes just kill me.....
    They tend to kill all kinds of stuff.

I asked as I think very few understand the CDQ program and how much they actually own.......including the reporter.[/QUOTE]

Very few understood Alaska Native Corporation preferences, either (another King Ted Special).

And when they did, they weren't happy...............

More.

Yet more.

Oh, my!

The bottom line is that all of King Ted's neato programs have been under a microscope in DC for quite some time..............

Alaska Native Corporations....for a minute there I thought we were in the Fisheries Management Forum.

Mark

Close to the same thing, when referring to CDQs(which I didn't bring up), and all part of King Ted's "legacy":

.....The program was modeled after the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA). However, the CDQ program was created with three primary differences:

Government oversight of all business activities
    Community based shareholders instead of individual shareholders
    Requirement that all investments be fisheries related....
    But, of course, you knew that, right?

Are you like this in person Mark?

Mark

I am in person. Aren't you?

My name is even Mark.

So what's the problem? Did you miss my point?

Like sole source Alaska Native Corporation contracting, the DCQ program relies on an authorizing entity (one of the recognized communities) in "partnership" with a real entity who does real things (like fishing, complete with fishing equipment, marketing support, administrative skills, etc).

These kinds of schemes, like all others in the past like them, run in cycles. The cycles usually end when abuses attract investigations and either an end of the party (like in the case of the sole source Native Corporation contracts) or somebody getting free room and board in the Iron Bar Hotel (like, hopefully, the case with the Prince).

Default Feelings?

"Mentioning my feelings on commercial fishing"?

My "feelings" is that commercial fishing is a just business just like any other business - nothing special either good or bad. There is considerable smoke about corruption in the commercial fishing industry and some of Ted's and Ben's dealings with the commercial fisheries have raised more than a just a few eyebrows. I think the history of the industry is hardly spotless - too much money to be made too quickly by too few people. That sort of situation always attracts undesireable people and illegal dealings.

As a public resource I think the fish should be allocated where they will do the most good for the most people. In the Kenai I do think more of the fish should be devoted to personal use and sport fishing - the Kenai is the only river within a few hours drive from the largest population center in the state - indeed almost half the people in the state are within easy driving range of the Kenai. Us urban dwellers are forced to provide the rural dwellers with many of the luxuries of urban live - why can't we have at least a few advantages of living in Alaska?

I've read a little on the CDQ Program but I'm not really up on it. While helping the poor rural villages sounds good I don't think it should be done with public money. I grew up in one of the poorest regions of the lower 48. Guess what - I moved away for better opportunity. MY family and I actually had to live in three different states one year - but sometimes that is what it takes. The people in the villages also have the opportunity to move.

Also TV when you keep mentioning your feeling on commercial fishing and many mention that you are talking about Fellow alaskans.........do you understand CDQ? Did you know that a LARGE portion of our commercial catch is now owned one way or another by very poor rural areas of our state? I have a hard time getting totals of just what is owned. (I have never said the CDQ program is perfect) I know they now own more than most would guess.

Default Problem?

Ted's real problems have nothing to do with commercial fishing. They have to do with honesty, integrity, and making his bed with the oil companies with all those not so little gifts that he got. He's toast and fishing is the least of his concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    He's toast and fishing is the least of his concerns.
    That 'bout says it all!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Well, since you brought it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I am in person.
    No you're not.

inperson - In the flesh; with bodily presence; a personal appearance; physical presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    My name is even Mark.
    No. "Mark" is your username on an internet site.

And in case you didn't notice, nobody cares to argue with you about Alaska Native Corporations.

To the rest... However sad for Alaskans, we can only hope that Ted Stevens' felony conviction sends a strong message to our Alaskan successors and the rest of our country's senators. I think everything, including our fisheries, will be better off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast