Thread: Favorite Bead Recipe

Default Favorite Bead Recipe

I have always used streamers and sink tip fly line. This year was my first year fishing a floating line and using beads. I will say that I'm struggling with what bead to use at what time. I get the whole 6mm vs 12mm bead. I would like to get some ideas on whether to use white finger nail polish or not, and if so, what shade of white, then softex or aqua seal? Of course anything else that I have not heard about yet to make the beads more realistic in the water.
    Last edited by Kaveman; 10-27-2008 at 21:47. Reason: Mispelled Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    I have always used streamers and sink tip fly line. This year was my first year fishing a floating line and using beads. I will say that I'm struggling with what bead to use at what time. I get the whole 6mm vs 12mm bead. I would like to get some ideas on whether to use white finger nail polish or not, and if so, what shade of white, then softex or aqua seal? Of course anything else that I have not heard about yet to make the beads more realistic in the water.

One of the best beads i have found and used cost me a whole .09 cents. I call it peaches and cream. It looks like peach ice cream with the little white swirl in it. Got them at the sportsman. for the last 3 years that bead has just slayed them the whole month of september. The old saying if it aint broke dont fix it. It worked real well in mid october this year too.

oh and i used this in 6 8 and 10mm
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

My September go to bead is an 8mm orange with flat white spray model paint.
    I use a small tupperware container (think baby food, apple sauce, pudding size) spray a short burst into the container, add some beads, close top and shake. If the beads are too white I add more and shake. Once I get the right colour I pour them out onto a piece of tin foil to dry.
    The paint doesn't chip like nail polish does plus it dries much faster.
    While I do have 1/2 dozen boxes of beads I usually only carry 2 small boxes one of 8mm done this way in 4 different shades and a box of 6 & 10mm done this way in 3 different shades.
    I have a middle river box of 10 & 12mm beads that are similar and an Anchor river box that has 10, 12 and 16mm beads that are completely different, using nail polish (I can;t remember the shade though)
    I have a box of 8mm in shades similar to Chucks that are made of clay as well as plastic swirlies.
    My last box is plain beads incase I need to whip up more painted beads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    ...to make the beads more realistic in the water.
    My advice to you is to find as many images of salmon eggs in as many different states (live, fertilized, shocked, dead, etc etc) as you possibly can, then attempt to duplicate them.

I know it sounds pedantic, but really...that's what you are trying to imitate.

You will find that most folks with a time-tested, fish-proven "recipe" for their beads will not give it up, even under duress. Part of the journey of fishing is the discovery for one's self, the venturing into uncharted territory and making one's own game plan, and few folks will sell that out so cheaply.

Having said that, there are as many ways to paint beads as there are bead fishermen, and all of them work for the fella that fishes them with confidence.

$.02,
    G

When me and a couple buddies fished the Kenai last month one of my buddies found an actual salmon egg in between rocks under water. can't really beat that when it comes to matchin whats out there!! problem is getting lucky enough to find one...

Default when in doubt ask

Went to Fred Meyers during the middle of September looking for that "color" nail polish that I was missing. While I was looking the lady that stocks the polish came up to me and asked if she could help me. Told her that I was looking to paint some beads but was unsure just what I was looking for. She proceded to show me the four or five best sellers that she has trouble keeping on the shelves during the fall timeframe. Talk about priceless information.
    So, if you see someone stocking the nail polish it is worth a shot... I must say that several of these colors were "hot" at different times on the Kenai and one worked on Deep Creek-Anchor when the colors that I normally use had slowed down some.
    Last edited by iceblue; 10-28-2008 at 16:49. Reason: mispelled nail

Default hmm

well it mainly depends on what time of year and the clouds!!!! BUUUT
    my general rule i use is

Dead egg or flesh in the morning.
    Hot pink at noon
    and as it slows down i turn back to usually what every1 has turned away from by the evening and thats the regular salmon roe with a white coat...

if that fails.... milky orange always pulls something out for me.

down is an example of hot pink at noon... this 1 is peticularly for chuck and jun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this color
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure my winter will be filled with painting beads while my summer will be filled with trying to match the hatch with the size and color of bead.

Default Another approach

Best paint: Revlon Sheer Buff was the good nail polish for painting beads taught me by the renowned steelheader, Ak Troutbum. But if you found a lady in cosmetics with "local knowledge" that might be better!

Best color: I've had consistent luck with an apricot/swirl 8mm bead. As far as matching colors goes, Scott Haugen (I think) said something in his book about matching egg colors; to look at the eggs in the water instead of out, though I have not yet noticed much difference when I've checked.

Random sometimes: I don't fish beads that much, but they do sometimes work when nothing else does. In general, using a certain (color, size) bead seems to matter but not always. I've experienced or witnessed good fish taking clear red beads when an 8mm apricot was the hot ticket and 12mm beads work long after there were no large eggs in the water. (Have you seen the blue beads? What do they match?) Still Kurt Trout made a fine reputation egg-smithing (and caught a lot of fish too) with various paints and coatings. Must be something to it.

Any of our local fly shops can point you to a few recommended beads for your chosen river and time of year. Not as much fun though as passing the winter evenings painting and prepping beads!

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    My advice to you is to find as many images of salmon eggs in as many different states (live, fertilized, shocked, dead, etc etc) as you possibly can, then attempt to duplicate them.

I know it sounds pedantic, but really...that's what you are trying to imitate.

You will find that most folks with a time-tested, fish-proven "recipe" for their beads will not give it up, even under duress. Part of the journey of fishing is the discovery for one's self, the venturing into uncharted territory and making one's own game plan, and few folks will sell that out so cheaply.

Having said that, there are as many ways to paint beads as there are bead fishermen, and all of them work for the fella that fishes them with confidence.

$.02,
    G
    I don't know what "pedantic" means.

"You will find that most folks with a time-tested, fish-proven "recipe" for their beads will not give it up, even under duress.... and few folks will sell that out so cheaply."

Well, then, see if I share ANY info with them about fishing..EVER. Honestly, I've never met another fisherman, a true dyed in the wool, dedicated fisherman, that didn't want everyone to know the joy of catching the "big one", and therefore, wasn't overjoyed to share what works for him. That's why I thought we were all here.

"Part of the journey of fishing is the discovery for one's self, the venturing into uncharted territory and making one's own game plan...,"

I must not be smoking the right stuff when I go fishing. I thought the journey of fishing was...to catch fish. And I never go into uncharted territory without carrying at least my 454 Casul.

"...there are as many ways to paint beads as there are bead fishermen, and all of them work for the fella that fishes them with confidence."

I'll bet anyone a brand new #8 G-Loomis GLX Native Run rod that I can find a bead color, or pattern, or size or some combination there in, that I can persuade one of my buddies to fish with ultimate confidence (because they'll take my word for anything as it pertains to fishing) and they only thing they'll catch would be a cold.

12mm beads or whatever size beads the particular body of water you're fishing suggests, based on the breed of salmon that runs in it. Color, any color you've ever seen salmon eggs in will, eventually, catch fish. I'm betting the blue beads would catch a king (salmon), but don't ask me why. My opinion is, if you put a lure, any lure, in the right presentation, the fish will take it, eventually. I base this opinion on my experience fishing a small river full of dollies and spawned out salmon earlier this year. It didn't matter what color bead we had on the end of the line, if the drift didn't make it look like the bead just fell out of the salmon the dolly was floating behind, it didn't result in a strike. Proper presentation, strike everytime.

Well, then, see if I share ANY info with them about fishing..EVER. Honestly, I've never met another fisherman, a true dyed in the wool, dedicated fisherman, that didn't want everyone to know the joy of catching the "big one", and therefore, wasn't overjoyed to share what works for him. That's why I thought we were all here.
    A Dogbert quote comes to mind..."Beware the advice of the successful, as they don't necessarily want your company." Sharing what works is honorable, giving it away willingly is questionable. Part of the overall philosophy of learning for one's self, rather than being given all your "knowledge".

I must not be smoking the right stuff when I go fishing. I thought the journey of fishing was...to catch fish.
    That's why I wrote "Part of the journey is...". Yes, the primary object of the game is to catch fish. Part of the journey is also to learn without being spoon-fed information. Yet another part of the journey is to broaden the horizons of knowledge, to move into uncharted territory, to expand one's knowledge of the game.

Color, any color you've ever seen salmon eggs in will, eventually, catch fish...if you put a lure, any lure, in the right presentation, the fish will take it, eventually...It didn't matter what color bead we had on the end of the line...
    Thanks for reinforcing my point.

BTW, "pedantic" means ostentatiously bookish, adherent to formal rules.

Default Must agree

The best day I have fishing is catching a fish in an area I discovered not that was disclosed to me. I enjoy my experiences and use them to find what works for me. Then again, I go out to fish and enjoy my time on the water. The catch is almost the anticlimax of the whole experience. Seeing new water, getting good hits, and seeing beautiful scenery is what excites me. Also, the big one that gets away or could be out there gets me going back to the same river. An experience I "discover" myself is my heaven!!!