Thread: Winter moose hunt - any last minute advice?

Default Winter moose hunt - any last minute advice?

I am hopefully heading out to try for a moose with my muzzleloader for the DM766 hunt next weekend. I shoot a 50 cal T/C Omega. I have gotten extremly tight groups shooting the 370 grain maxiball with 85 grains of pyrodex powder. I can put all my shots inside a 2 inch group at 50 yards, 6 inch group at 100 yards and 9 inch group at 150 yards. Do you think 150 yards is too far of a shot with this set up? Any other winter moose hunting tips/advice is wholeheartedly welcome.

Thanks in advance,

CubeCove
    Last edited by cubecove; 10-27-2008 at 20:33. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Do you think 150 yards is too far of a shot with this set up? Any other winter moose hunting tips/advice is wholeheartedly welcome.

CubeCove
    I'm probably the wrong person to pipe up about long range effectiveness with muzzleloaders because I just don't shoot game much past 75 yards, and I prefer closer. I've killed lots of deer at long range with centerfires though, so perhaps I can "poach" on the topic a bit.

Successful long range work with a CF requires a really steady rest, no wind, and dead certainty of your range- especially as range stretches and bullet falloff becomes a factor. With MLs, those are even bigger factors. I have no doubt that your maxi will do the job at that range if it lands in the right spot, but the margin for error in range estimation is almost nonexistent. Tollerance of those slow moving slugs for breezes is about minimum, too. Mix in a little uphill or downhill trajectory adjustment, and it's really, really easy to miss your mark at 150 yards. Add in sighting errors using open sights, and the potential for a miss grows even more.

I've done a fair bit of target shooting out to 300 yards with MLs. The impact of the variables I describe are huge once you move past 100 yards, and get ever worse with each additional yard of range. If I had them all dialed in to my satisfaction along with the good rest, I might be tempted on the last day of a hunt, but otherwise I'd probably try to get within 100 yards, and better, within 50 yards. With willows and other brush, you'd be hard pressed to find a rest in the places I've moose hunted.

Let us know how you do!

Thanks for the advice. I too agree that getting close is the best option. I was just seeking more knowledgeable individuals on the shot distance/bullet/powder setup.

Anyone else have any other tips before I head out? I am going to see how the trail is tomorrow on a scouting trip. I plan on hunting around the 12th of the month for 3 to 5 days.

CubeCove

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I too agree that getting close is the best option. I was just seeking more knowledgeable individuals on the shot distance/bullet/powder setup.

Anyone else have any other tips before I head out? I am going to see how the trail is tomorrow on a scouting trip. I plan on hunting around the 12th of the month for 3 to 5 days.

CubeCove
    Got carried away talking about range and forgot to comment on your load. I haven't used it on game but I helped dress out a deer my hunting pard shot with a pure lead 370 grain maxi from his TC Hawken. Hit it at a measured 65 yards head on in the brisket. We found the maxi under the hide in the left hind leg, where it stopped after shattering the thigh bone. Probably would have been a full penetration if it hadn't hit the bone. And his charge was 80 grains of Pyrodex P.

I'd say you have plenty of gee-whizz for moose!

I am confident this will be able to do the job if I can get within 100 yards.

CubeCove

How did the hunt turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Forestman View Post
    How did the hunt turn out?
    I was successful. I got a small bull with 33 inch horns. I have the info in the "Just got back" post with a few pics.

CubeCove