Thread: Local Bow Builders??

Default Local Bow Builders??

Curious if there are many guys local that build stick/recurve bows? thinking of getting rid of the wheels and going back to my roots...and wondering on costs and availablity on something local being built. I'm a bit shorter on the draw (26") and wanted to customize it to me a bit.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake:

This guy isn't local to you, but he lives on POW. He is a world class longbow maker. Here is his website.

www.welchmanlongbows.com/

kingfisherktn

i'm guessing thats probably the money i'll have to be spending to get a bow built....
    Master guide 212

Default I might be able to help

I build long bows as a hobby. I've done a fair number over the past seven years. Many of which I've given away to friends and family, donated a few to Boy Scouts and RMEF banquet. Am I as good as the guys who make a living at it? Absolutely not. But I can build a bow that'll provide years of service and harvest animals in the hands of a proficient archer. I haven't tried tackling laminated recurves yet, maybe someday. Mostly I stick with a simple design from a stave using Osage orange or one of the whitewoods. If someone is interested and has the time, I'd be more than happy to teach them to build their own (I'm in Anchorage). Send me a pm if interested.

Jeff

Default Bowbuilders

I think there was a father/son that built longbows and recurves down toward Kenai. Don't remember their names but I shot a couple times with them at C.I.A.(cookinlet archers) some years back.

Default Jack Harrison

builds traditional bows in Wasilla. I believe Paul Asman has one of Jack's takedown bows at Archer's Den and might know how to reach Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Jake:

This guy isn't local to you, but he lives on POW. He is a world class longbow maker. Here is his website.

www.welchmanlongbows.com/

kingfisherktn
    Nice Bows! Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I build long bows as a hobby. I've done a fair number over the past seven years. Many of which I've given away to friends and family, donated a few to Boy Scouts and RMEF banquet. Am I as good as the guys who make a living at it? Absolutely not. But I can build a bow that'll provide years of service and harvest animals in the hands of a proficient archer. I haven't tried tackling laminated recurves yet, maybe someday. Mostly I stick with a simple design from a stave using Osage orange or one of the whitewoods. If someone is interested and has the time, I'd be more than happy to teach them to build their own (I'm in Anchorage). Send me a pm if interested.

Jeff
    I'll take you up on that! PM sent.......

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Nice Bows! Do you have one?
    Sadly, no.

ps. I'm going to join my son on Thursday, will let you know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sadly, no.

ps. I'm going to join my son on Thursday, will let you know the results.
    Nice - Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Nice - Good luck!

Thanks, will take pictures if successful.

Not local but does excellent work. I just had Dan Toelke build me one. It looks and shoots great. If you would like to see and shoot the one he built for me PM me and we can get together. Here is his website. Give him a call he can build one to fit you.
    http://montanabows.com

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    Not local but does excellent work. I just had Dan Toelke build me one. It looks and shoots great. If you would like to see and shoot the one he built for me PM me and we can get together. Here is his website. Give him a call he can build one to fit you.
    http://montanabows.com
    I'll second the Toelke recommendation. I've known Dan for years and I own a Classic Whip. You won't find a more honest person and he backs up his product with no questions asked.

Harrison bows are very nice also. I thought Jack sold off his bow building business though. I could be wrong. Anyway, they are fine bows.

I also build longbows 1 piece or takedowns. I have built quite a few over the years mainly for myself and family. I can customize it how ever you want. PM me and I can send you some pics of my work. p.s nice to see you geting back in traditonal archery its a lot of fun

Jake, if all else fails I have a Howard Hill Big Five that I listed in the clasifides. It's only 62" long & is marked 63# @ 26". Just made for guys like you (& me)! It is in excellent condition.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

There are many bow builders in the valley and a few in the interior...look up traditional archers of alaska (dont have the number off hand but if you cant find it online you can find it in the back in TBM). If you can't find a number talk to Paige with the ABA, I'm sure she or Loel (her hubby who happens to be a stickbowshooter) can get you in contact with builders. I believe they do there shindig get togethers in palmer (taa's bow building class's) but you'll have to confirm that with them. If that doesnt work stop by Northern Air Cargo in Anchorage's main office and ask for Mike Stevens.

thanks guys, good info, i'm finishing up my season and have to sell my wheel bow and see what i can pull from that pile of gear and that will dictate how soon i move on the stick bows....
    akdd...i used to live at mile 95, went to glacier view school as a kid.
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR, My daughter went to school at Glacier View and now the the grand kids are going there. I have lived there since 1978.

Default Follow-up re: Harrison bows...

"Harrison bows are very nice also. I thought Jack sold off his bow building business though. I could be wrong. Anyway, they are fine bows."

Montana Bob, you are right. Jack is currently in Texas, but confirmed that he sold his bow patent in 2000 and retired that particular interest.

Jack did sell his bow buiz to the fella in Texas however Jack is back building and from what I thought I understood the last time we talked was selling again.

If you dont have his book and you are a builder....you should! He's also awesome to talk to when ya can catch him.

Also got a call from one of John Schulz's sons. Sounds like they are getting back into the bow buiz again also.