Thread: bunnie bullets?

Default bunnie bullets?

Iam new to the rabbit hunting thing I was wondering what you guys thing is the best gun for rabbits is a .22 .410 20 or 12 gauge?

Default Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by frozen okie View Post
    Iam new to the rabbit hunting thing I was wondering what you guys thing is the best gun for rabbits is a .22 .410 20 or 12 gauge?
    I personally use a 32acp round fired out of my 30-06 via an adapter. The 76 grn bullet at 1300 fps, gives approx the power of a 22mag. It also allows me to carry my main battle rifle;JUST IN CASE. And ammo isn't any more expensive than a 410 or 12 ga.
    I also carry the adapter and a few rounds when I hunt large game.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Bunnies…………….. hmmmm

For “spot and stalk” I prefer a .22

For “jump shootin” I like the 410 with 6 shot

For Bunny defense I prefer the 45/70 Guide Gun with 420 grain cast bullets……….. they can be tough to “anchor” when pissed so be prepared for quick follow up shots………..lest you suffer the same fate as those guys on Monty Python............. "It's just a bunny".............
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default dont say you aint been warned!!!

Just be sure to “load heavy, tread light, and be ready for the worst”……………….
    Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by frozen okie View Post
    You can use just about anything successfully, so a lot boils down to what you like to use. Terrain will dictate a lot, too. It's sure fun to stalk them for head shots with a rifle or handgun, but kind of frustrating if they keep breaking before you get within range. That's when a shotgun is nice. I'm fond of 410's, but I'm also fond of 28's and 20's too. If you're a handloader you can use reduced loads in your big game arms for outstanding practice and surprising accuracy. Then there is the world of muzzleloaders, my latest passion.

Use what you like best with assurance that if the conditions match the arm, you'll do just fine.

Nuttin but a 22 and prefferably a solid bullet.

I can remember as a kid when mom fried up some raggits and biscuits and gravey. Man oh man the smell of them sizzling in the skillet had my mouth watering. I sat down at the table and tore into one of them hind legs that had been rolled in flour and cooked up crisp. Then it happened! I bit into a big ole wad of hair wrapped around a number 6 shot. Dang! Been pluggin em with a 22 ever since. Squirrells too. Shotguns is for stuff with wings!

Of all the high-fa-looten 22's out there, I still bang bunnies with an old Marlin 99 (same as a Glenfield 60 but Walnut and good sights).

Pellet gun with an MV of about 1200 fps... deadly out past 100 ft... and if a big furry jumps ya... shoot'm in the eye

I use a semi auto .22 for grouse and bunnies. Bought it from pay n save LONG time ago. Still a great gun.

Default bullets

ok thanks guys Ill stick to my 22 and keep trying for head shots and thank you alangag Ill save one for myself incase they get me surrounded lol

Default the hunt is on

I got a .17 HMR barrel for my TC with a 4x scope. I plinked a nice wabbit at 190 yards. I like the long shots. I also like to eat them which means I tend to stay with head shots and smaller bullets

I have a half Rat Terrier half Fox Terrier named Emmy that is sitting on my lap right now. The two of us walked a set of railroad tracks last winter on the outskirts of town. We walked a mile out with Emmy working one side of the tracks and the mile back with her working the other side. She jumped 4 rabbits and ran three of them down and fetched them back to me. The fourth got into a rock pile. Much more fun that shooting them. Sometimes she turns one loose before I have a hold of it and she gets to chase those ones twice. I'm telling ya it's a hoot!

She just turned two years old and has all the makings of a great squirrel dog. I have a squirrel tail laying in the crotch of a tree in the back yard about 6 feet off the ground. She can see it from the bedroom window (when its light out) and she sits there staring at it for hours. The wind will make it move a little and she thinks its getting away. My wife says I'm torturing her but really I'm just grooming her for the real thing.

The whitetails are just starting to rut in this neck of the woods so for the next three weeks I'll be trying to put an arrow into one of them. Once I get one of them killed then Emmy and I are going squirrel hunting every day.

Sorry I wandered from the thread topic....it happens to a feller when he gets old! My point is ya can harvest raggits without bullets of any kind!

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I use a semi auto .22 for grouse and bunnies. Bought it from pay n save LONG time ago. Still a great gun.
    OMG i though i was the only one that remembers paynsave!!!
    Semper Fi!

CCI stingers and Remington Vipers are my favorite bunny bullet. Trying for head shots. Anything that comes out the barrel of a .22 will usually do though.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I like my 17 hmr for bunnies and grouse

Thou shall keep the Holy Hand Grenade as a backup though.

Default Bunny Bullets

Dad gave me a Stevens 22/410 for my 12th birthday.It has the tenite (plastic) stock which was common during ww2. It was the only gun I owned until I finished High School. It has accounted for a load of squirrels, rabbits, quail and grouse thru the last 62 years and still looks goooooood. I have accumulated bunch of nice guns since then but none serves it's purpose better than the little o/u. Thanks for reminding me guys.

Thumbs up .22

When I was a young hunter up here I got carried away shooting snowshoe hairs. At the time it was lots of fun. I liked a bolt action .22 with a 4 power scope. The gun I had shot very well with CCI standard velocity rounds. I am convinced all those head shots and running shots with that set up payed off when I grabbed a big rifle for the yearly moose/caribou hunt. I also used Smith and Wesson K and J frames quite a bit.