Thread: 45 L.C. Reload Question

Default 45 L.C. Reload Question

does anyone know where the best place is here in anchorage or by mail order to get reloading supplies especially 45lc brass. i have a ruger alaskan and would like to load some 45lc for practice and plinking. any loads or bullet recomendations for plinking would be much apreciated. i just got a dillon 550 press and love it. so far i only loaded up some 38 special because i already had the supplies, now i have the bug to load up a bunch of rounds for practice.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I buy my 45 Colt brass at Sportsman’s and if they don’t have any I hit one of the gun shops.

For plinking I go with 250 grain cast bullets over 9.5 grains of Unique. Or if you have some black powder laying around you can fill the case up about ¼” shy of full and compress it down with a 250 grain bullet for some “Smokey” fun……………………

Double check that data before use……………………
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    does anyone know where the best place is here in anchorage or by mail order to get reloading supplies especially 45lc brass. i have a ruger alaskan and would like to load some 45lc for practice and plinking. any loads or bullet recomendations for plinking would be much apreciated. i just got a dillon 550 press and love it. so far i only loaded up some 38 special because i already had the supplies, now i have the bug to load up a bunch of rounds for practice.
    Good choice with the Dillon

I find Starline brass to be the best and can be bought from Graf & Son or direct from Starline. For a nice light load I find the 250 ish grain cast to be right a home over Unique or similar powder. You might also try 10.0 to 12.0 grains of Blue Dot powder. It works well in short barrels.

One historical note for the caliber, it is called the 45 Colt. Colt was the company to introduce the caliber in 1873 and they named it. It has been chambered in various guns since then but it has never been the "Long Colt" because there never was a short Colt. There was, of about the same era, an S&W 45 in the Schofield, a fine caliber but shorter to allow its use in the Schofield. That shorter S&W round could be used in the 45 Colt revolvers already in use by the U. S. Cavalry at the time and it was often called the 45 short but the 45 Colt was always just the 45 Colt.

Back some years ago some gun scribe wrote an article and called the 45 Colt the 45 Long Colt (LC), erroneously, but the term has stuck incorrectly for all these years.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

thanks for the input. another question that is for the dillon press, can i only get parts direct from dillon online, or is there a local dealer. i would like to get a second tool head so i don't have to change dies. and for the 45 colt, can i just use the cheapest lead bullets i can find or should i use a hard cast to keep leading down. thanks again.

check eBay......they have 157 dillon items listed today. it's a great place to buy used (and new) reloading equipment.

i use "hard cast" oregon trail and can load to nearly 1050fps w/o leading, but that may depend on the condition of your bore.

the .45 is not fussy as to bullet & powder combinations, and seems to do well with several........i use unique, accurate #5 and 231 with good results. these powders meter well, don't require a magnum primer, and are pretty clean. as i use a 4 1/4" or 4 5/8" barrel some of the "slower" powders like 2400 etc leave more unburned ejecta.

the ruger new vaquero is a pleasure to load for and shoot.........but the freedom arms m97 is by far the most accurate.

happy trails
    jh