Thread: Sako 85 300 WSM - The Latest

Default Sako 85 300 WSM - The Latest

Not sure if I should take up forum space for this thread but I thought one or two of you might be interested.

My new Sako just isn't shooting very well. I've treid handloaded 168 gr TSX's and 180 ETips and factory Fed blue box 180 gr softpoints and Fed premium 180 gr ABs. Results have been 1 1/2" to 4" groups at a 100 yds. I did get a 3 shot .545 group out of the handloaded ETips and then loaded up 20 more of the same recipe, but the follow up groups were 2-4 inches. I took the 180 gr fed softpoints antelope hunting last week and got 3 speedgoats at 180, 300 and about 200 yds. I bought a box of Fed premium ABs this week for deer and elk. They shot a 2.1" @ a 100 and a 2.6" @ 200 yds. So they are good to go for a 500 yds shot on elk.

I have talked with the guy who sold me the rifle at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis and he said go ahead and use it for the season then they would get it exchanged. Good service there. So hopefully the replacement will do much better.

This is probably a silly question, and no offense intended, but have you checked everything over for tightness? A guy at my local range had similar issues with a new rifle, and it turned out that there were a couple of screws loose. On the rifle, that is. I don't remember which ones. But if the service is that good, like you say, you're likely best with a new gun. If that one shoots the same, well...

I have a Sako 75 in 300 WinMag, had the same trouble, it turned out the scope mounts rings weren't up to the task. I changed them out for warne rings/mounts, now I get 1/2 inch groups ALL the time like a Sako should.

Sako guarantees 1" MOA accuracy for 5 shots, and I have not seen a Sako that wouldn't do just that. I'd say either something is awry in your setup (scope, rings, mounts, action screws) or I'd be mailing it back to Sako. On a side note, Accubonds have not shot well for me in my 300 WSM, and most 300 WSM's will shoot Federal 180 g TSX's into tight little groups. I have shot probably 7 different variations of factory ammo and 2 different variations of handloads in my Kimber 300 WSM and nothing shot into groups bigger than 1.5" at 100 yards, with the Accubonds being the worst at 1.5" or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    This is probably a silly question, and no offense intended, but have you checked everything over for tightness? A guy at my local range had similar issues with a new rifle, and it turned out that there were a couple of screws loose. On the rifle, that is. I don't remember which ones. But if the service is that good, like you say, you're likely best with a new gun. If that one shoots the same, well...
    No offense taken... I do wonder if the bedding in the stock (or lack of) has anything to do with it. And yep, I have checked the screws, they are secure. This rifle is guaranteed a 1" 5 shot group out of the box from the factory in the factory stock.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    I have a Sako 75 in 300 WinMag, had the same trouble, it turned out the scope mounts rings weren't up to the task. I changed them out for warne rings/mounts, now I get 1/2 inch groups ALL the time like a Sako should.
    The guy who sold me this rifle has exactly the same set up in a Sako 75 300 WSM with the same NF scope and Optilock rings and he is shooting 5/8ths groups with the fed softpoints. He installed my scope with levels, lock tight and the whole nine yards. He cranked it down good, I was watching the whole process. The Optilock rings and bases seem to pretty solid. Did you have the optilock rings on yours? Interesting. The NF is a heavy scope (32 oz), but then he has the same scope and his shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Sako guarantees 1" MOA accuracy for 5 shots, and I have not seen a Sako that wouldn't do just that. I'd say either something is awry in your setup (scope, rings, mounts, action screws) or I'd be mailing it back to Sako. On a side note, Accubonds have not shot well for me in my 300 WSM, and most 300 WSM's will shoot Federal 180 g TSX's into tight little groups. I have shot probably 7 different variations of factory ammo and 2 different variations of handloads in my Kimber 300 WSM and nothing shot into groups bigger than 1.5" at 100 yards, with the Accubonds being the worst at 1.5" or so.
    Yeah, I have never heard of a Sako not shooting well, but the guy who sold it to me said they send one back now and then. The Accubonds are shooting the best right now in mine, but I haven't tried the factory TSX's.

I had a Burris scope mounted on a Sako 375 H&H using the Burris rings a few years ago. Those rings were exactly like the Optilok with the polymer insert. That setup was terrible it was all over the place. I changed that to Warne mounts and rings and it went from 4 inch groups to 1 inch and most of the time 3/4 inch. Before you send it back I would try a different mounting system. The rifle can only shoot as well as the scope holds its zero. I have 3 Sakos and they all shoot like a Sako should, after I got the scopes to stop moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    I had a Burris scope mounted on a Sako 375 H&H using the Burris rings a few years ago. Those rings were exactly like the Optilok with the polymer insert. That setup was terrible it was all over the place. I changed that to Warne mounts and rings and it went from 4 inch groups to 1 inch and most of the time 3/4 inch. Before you send it back I would try a different mounting system. The rifle can only shoot as well as the scope holds its zero. I have 3 Sakos and they all shoot like a Sako should, after I got the scopes to stop moving around.
    I'll call the guy at Shedhorn tomorrow and suggest trying the Warne system, he's not in today. Sounds like a worth while effort to me. Might learn something in the process. Thanks for the info, and will let you know the results.

Just got off the phone with Jerry at Warne. He told me not to buy their (Warne) rings and bases for Sako's. Sako has made some mods and they are not releasing the info. They are pulling their products for Sako off the shelf. So it looks like if i have a ring problem, then I have a rifle problem that can't be fixed. We'll see what happens with the new rifle.

I would guess Sako made the changes to the 85 model. I have 2 -75 models a 300 Win Mag and a .375HH and a 7MM Mag in the AV model. The WARNE stuff works the BEST on these rifles! Maybe you should try to get a 75 model

The Warne mounts are decent enough, but Warne makes their own screws and they have had problems with these in the past. The screws have broken off inside the mounts due to recoil, not even heavy recoil. I had one break on my .270.

If you really like the Warne mounts, get yourself some Hillman heat treated socket head screws. They are stronger that the Warne screws- Warne does not heat treat them.

I bought a used M85 Hunter in 338 Fed and put the old style sako rings on it, unfortunatly I have not shot it yet. I really like the sako rings with the stop on the rear ring.