Thread: Remington 700 Bolt Problem

Default Remington 700 Bolt Problem

When I took my 700 out of the safe after not having fired it for almost two years, I went to throw the bolt and the pin remained in the fired position. Then when I threw the bolt slowly and with the safety on the pin would load, but the firing pin would release when I would take the safety off. I took the gun completely apart and re-cleaned. I still have the issue with pin not loading into the firing position unless I do it slowly but at least when I take the safety off it does not release the firing pin now. I am stressed, any idea what the problem could be. I always have kept my guns spotless. Please help...Thanks

Ever had any trigger work done?

til later

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayre View Post
    When I took my 700 out of the safe after not having fired it for almost two years, I went to throw the bolt and the pin remained in the fired position. Then when I threw the bolt slowly and with the safety on the pin would load, but the firing pin would release when I would take the safety off. I took the gun completely apart and re-cleaned. I still have the issue with pin not loading into the firing position unless I do it slowly but at least when I take the safety off it does not release the firing pin now. I am stressed, any idea what the problem could be. I always have kept my guns spotless. Please help...Thanks
    honestly i had a VERY similar issue with my ruger m77... except it would NOT fire either... turns out .. went it to the smith ... arctic gun works...... he calls all better now Vince.... first question out of his mouth as i walked in... you carry this in a koplin gun boot....

well don't we all? i replied.... he laughs and says yes all you guy do they look great... and do a fine job the first time you use it.. then all that dust and crap gets in the lining you cant see....

he dismantled my bolt and cleaned it... works fine. i take it to him once a year to have the bolt cleaned.( tried once myself) since then i have found other case to carry my rifles in... if not its across my chest.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Question trigger ?....

I have talked to a few other Remington 700 owners who had this problem. It was almost always traced to the enclosed trigger housing and an accumulation of "crud" that developed in the trigger mechanisim over a period of time. I would take it to a gunsmith unless I knew how to fix it my self. If you "google" it you can find some interesting info on Remington triggers.

If you live in anchorage i would go to wild west guns see the old man in there with the white bread and hair. I took a 222 to them. When you would close the bolt the rilfe would fire. They fixed me up great and it was pretty cheap too..

Default Remington Trigger Problems

I own a Remington 700 35 Whelen and have shot a few critters with it. I have heard of lots of issues with the Remington triggers over the years, but fortunately have never experienced anything. Makes a guy a little nervous always hearing these things. Good reason to teach good gun safety.

Had it happen one time with one of my 700s in 40 years and dozens of guns. Turne out to be crud in the trigger group. Managed to get it out without dismantling by using aerosol brake pad cleaner. Now I use that or aerosol carburetor cleaner on all the trigger groups once a year as part of my annual maintenance. BTW- The trigger on the rifle that developed the problem had been adjusted by a gunsmith I have my doubts about. I've never had it happen on any triggers I adjusted myself. Whether it was my cleaning job or my subsequent readjusting the trigger that fixed everything, I couldn't say.

You can buy an inexpensive tool that makes it real easy to completely disassemble a 700 bolt. I'd use the money to buy a tool instead of paying a smith so you can learn the inner workings yourself. Take the bolt apart and remove the trigger. Soak them both overnight in lighter fluid or white gas or diesel or kerosene or mineral spirits or heating oil. If you can, blow them out with compressed air. If you know somebody that has an ultrasonic cleaner that they may use for cleaning jewelry put the trigger assembly in that with one of the chemicals listed above.

You can also take apart the trigger assembly, its not that difficult. Take some digital pics if you think it is necessary. A 700 is probably the most common action and you will certainly be able to use what you learn sometime in the future.

The advantage of the chemicals above is that they are all non-drying penetrating solvents. They clean very well without the fast drying effects of some other solvents. Fast evaporating solvents remove lubrication below the surface and will craze precision surfaces. The above completely clean while still leaving a protectant film below the surface, just like the much more expensive gun cleaning solvents. A bolt or trigger is not all that precision but they are better choices for the longevity of metal surfaces.

Default I too had the same experience

Deerslayre, I had the exact same problem with my Remington 270 model 700. If you take apart the trigger assembly, clean it well, and be sure NOT to use oil in it you will not have a problem. I was told that Remington has some of the smallest tolerences in there machining. Due to this if crud (ie. gun oil) sits in them for a long time it will tend to slowly get thicker. When it does this it causes the safety/trigger mechanism to jam up. Since i have started using it dry, i have never had a problem. Also as mentioned by BrownBear, doing this once a year is a very good habbit. Just my 02 cents based off of my experience.

Default Thanks

I can't tell you how much I appreciate yours and others comments. Living in California at the moment presents alot of problems when discussing the nuts and bolts of guns and hunting. I finally feel at home being connected in this way!!!!

Thanks again so much and good hunting!!

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayre View Post
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate yours and others comments. Living in California at the moment presents alot of problems when discussing the nuts and bolts of guns and hunting. I finally feel at home being connected in this way!!!!

Thanks again so much and good hunting!!
    I am in CA as well...where exactly are you at?

Hey thats makes three of us

You can disassemble the bolt on any 700 with either your boot laces or a piece of twine and this is a great thing to know when you are in the back country and you drop your prized rifle into the mud, bog, slough, river, lake, muskeg etc.
    No need to buy any tools and works just as good if not better and saves you the $$$ and time to order.

"but the firing pin would release when I would take the safety off."
    This sounds like a problem Remington had a safety recall about the last few years.

If with the safety on you can't open the bolt you have one of the rifles that they were doing the recall on. Best to take it to a gunsmith and get it fixed.

Did it actually become a full blown recall? Cause i never got the notice.

To my knowledge they never sent notices to individual owners. They let people know through gun stores. Considering the number of people that didn't find out about it that method didn't work too well. I never got a notice either and I had to have the repair done to 2 rifles.