Thread: Which AK for under $1000?

Default Which AK for under $1000?

I'm considering the purchase of an Arsenal SLR-107 in 7.62x39. The market for quality AKs here in Anchorage, seems pretty limited, but I found a shop that has two different side folder versions of this rifle for ~$900ea. The only other AKs I've seen are some Saigas (already own one in .223) and some Romanian WASRs.

A few years ago when I lived in Utah I almost purchased a NIB Arsenal SA-M7 (milled receiver) for $700 at my local shop. Now I'm kicking myself because, correct me if I'm wrong, they don't make them any more, and prices on all AKs have skyrocketed.

1. Am I crazy to even consider paying $900+ for a stamped AK? Anyone know if the SLR-107 is any good? Worth that price?

2. If that price is indeed crazy, or the Arsenal SLR-107 just isn't that great of a rifle, then what other AKs should I consider and where can I find a good deal here in town?

3. What do shops here in town charge for a FFL firearm transfer fee if I decide to order online?

Thanks for your help,
    Denali

Most FFLs here in town charge 25 bucks per transfer. I have bought several guns on gunbroker and had them shipped up. Saved a boatload of money that way.

You might shoot Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms a note asking if he can get you one. He got me a pistol I was looking for in two days. His shop is the one that sponsers this forum.

Default GunBroker

You can always buy from Gunbroker.com I picked up a NHM-91 last year. Great AK. Bi-pod, 4 clips, NIB for just over $600.

Ron

Default WOW!

That is a ton of dough for an AK!!
    You can get a WASR or romainian for $350-400 in my neck of the woods. (NC-SC)
    I paid $279 for my Saiga 223 new about 6 months ago.

You need to try Gunbroker or Buds Gun shop.

If you can find one get a yugo AK. They have thicker receivers, but no chrome bore.

Thanks. Yep, Arsenals may be top shelf AKs, but I just can't get myself to pay $1000 for one. Even if the wife says it's ok...

I'll keep looking, or maybe order off gunbroker. Thanks, all.

--Zeb

whe you buy an Arsenal, you are buying guaranteed quality. All the others like Centurys are hit and miss.

Your $$, your choice.

Check out Arizona responseSystems.com T Mark Gunplumber Graham builds some excellent AKs at reasonable prices.