Thread: Fire Lake, Eagle River

Default Fire Lake, Eagle River

Hi all,

I'm new to Alaska and ended up with a rental on Fire Lake in Eagle River. Although it's primarily an airstrip, I've seen reports that it was stocked with rainbows at one point.

Does anyone have any experience with ice fishing on Fire Lake? I've gone for bluegills and pike in Michigan plenty of times, but I have no idea what the story is in Alaska. Do you use tip-ups?

Thanks and tight lines.

theres pike in it and wild rainbows, mostly pike though... Try herring under a tip up
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There may be a few stocker rainbows with eyes in the back of their heads, a few huge bows with tooth marks on them, and pike. I caught a really nice landlocked salmon back in the 90s. I released it quick so it may still be in there.

Be wary of the outlet as it does not freeze well or fast.

You can catch some stockers and a few pike from there. It's worth drilling a hole and trying it in a month or so.

I have caught pike in the lake but no trout. Tip ups are the best bet once the lake ices up real good. Herring works well and night crawlers have brought in a few. There are plenty of other lakes close by that offer better ice fishing action. The pike have done a number on that lake.

That's great news. Thanks for the advice.

I grew up fishing fire lake in the late 70's early 80's. Back before the pike pretty much took it over. As a kid I used to catch quite a few bows out of there many in the 14 to 20 inch range. Used to take the canoe out on the weekends and fish along the grass islands on the new glenn side just of the edges soaking eggs. I have caught pike out of the in the last few years in august. Going into the shallows on the right side of the lake on the old glenn side. You can seem them laying in the shallows and of course they will hit just about anything. So Im sure you could coax some pike out this winter. Not to sure about any bows anymore though but you might get lucky and get a couple. Good luck and keep us posted
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I grew up fishing fire lake in the late 70's early 80's. Back before the pike pretty much took it over. As a kid I used to catch quite a few bows out of there many in the 14 to 20 inch range. Used to take the canoe out on the weekends and fish along the grass islands on the new glenn side just of the edges soaking eggs. I have caught pike out of the in the last few years in august. Going into the shallows on the right side of the lake on the old glenn side. You can seem them laying in the shallows and of course they will hit just about anything. So Im sure you could coax some pike out this winter. Not to sure about any bows anymore though but you might get lucky and get a couple. Good luck and keep us posted
    Me too!!! What color was your canoe - be we crossed wakes LOL!

Default I know a bit about Fire Lake.

If you want to hit pike a good bet is off of the large weed bed on the Old Glenn side of the lake, at the "waist" of the lake. The lake looks kinda like a peanut from the air--look at the lake from the Google Maps terrain point of view. You'll be about 50 yards off of the shore and sit in the outflow of the creek.
    Another traditional place to icefish is south of the island. Certainly be respectful of the air traffic--while there are many other spots that are deep and productive in the summertime, they are too close to the flight lanes for winter fishing.

Trout in the summer were best fished from the new Glenn side, starting in the northern half of the lake. Once again you can get an overview from the google maps. We were successful with flatfish, FSTs, small spinners and small pixies...but don't forget that this was from 1980 to 1991. Fire Lake used to get a dump of fish from the hatchery every year. They stopped doing this in the 90's once they found out that the stocking program amounted to little more than pike food for a week or two . Schools of trout would literally boil the water while hitting mosquitos on the surface. In any case you might be able to fish 20ft to 20yds off of the shore, fairly slow, mostly off the ends of the docks. Start from the dock of the house that sticks out the most on the New Glenn side and work your way along the shore, going north to the next point, then take that point and head further north, to the northern tip of the island. Cut around the north of the island and head east for the far shore, picking up the pace a bit as you get closer to shore. Keep the lures off the bottom as you turn left (north) and stay about 35-60ft off of the northern shore. Take it back to the western half of the lake and troll about 40-50ft off of the island. Stop at the southern end of the island and cast towards any of the fish working the surface in the evenings...

On a calm, warm evening I can remember catching fish after fish, all trout or salmon. There were a few so large, and so distinct that a couple of the kids had them named. Dangit that was some good times...

...and then the pike came!

Good luck!

IceKing02

Is it just me or is the pike fishing not what it used to be on Fire Lake?

I fished Fire Lake like a mad man between the mid 90's and roughly 2003. I had a 16' Osagian sq aluminum canoe with an 8hp Suzuki on the back and used it on that lake atleast once a week.

The weed beds were the ticket for pike back in the day. I would run from weed bed to weed bed using herring, fingerling fly patterns, and sometimes spoons and spinners. I would catch fish all day long! But the weed beds in the lake are near gone and the real bruisers I used to catch are now far and few between.

My strategy in more recent years has been to work the grass islands, 100 yards out from the inlet, and far right cove. Fire Lake is a great trip if you want an evening trip or are time restricted, but if I want quality fishing I'll choose another creek or lake.

If I remember right it's been a few years since ADF&G stocked Fire Lake with rainbow. They never seemed to last long, but the ones that do always seem to gather around the remaining weedbeds in the lake and sometimes the grass islands. When I catch them through the ice the bows looked like they are being starved to death. Try shrimp on a single hook and don't spend more than 30 minutes in one spot if you see no action.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMooseMan View Post
    Me too!!! What color was your canoe - be we crossed wakes LOL!
    To funny. It was just an old silver canoe, flat back my dad bought when we first moved up here. Man did that canoe put us on some game and fish though. lots of memories growing up in that thing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The pike fishing has definately gone way downhill... I think it has to do when them stopping the free food, and the incresed pressure from ADF&G to kill every pike, plus the drawdown of water last year definately killed a bunch of eggs.

And there are clearly no trout there anymore, none at all.

Default Same here..........

I used to ride my bike down from blue spruse lane it was some killer bow fishing. I bet I saw you down there chuck. I fished it from 73-79
    There were a few beaver ponds behind our house that were full of trout also they had fire creek running through them. We also used to catch a few grayling. I will never foget the first time that we saw a few salmon in there.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Last edited by flyfishak30; 10-30-2008 at 15:52. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishak30 View Post
    I used to ride my bike down from blue spruse lane it was some killer bow fishing. I bet I saw you down there chuck. I fished it from 73-79
    There were a few beaver ponds behind our house that were full of trout also they had fire creek running through them. We also used to catch a few grayling. I will never foget the first time that we saw a few salmon in there.
    Shhhh....!