Thread: food storage?

Default food storage?

Any Ideas on a food cache in a remote setting around the Fairbanks area, should it be a tradtional cache 20' high or can you get away digging a hole to keep food cool year round. And what about critters, big and small, should I worry? What has worked for others when one does not have electricity.

I don't live in Alaska and don't know a huge amount but I would rather have my stuff way up in the air. Than down on the ground.

yeah.. I know to hang my food when I go hunting or backpacking but I am looking for Ideas about keeping food (meat and such) when living remotely in a cabin. I have heard about digging holes to a certain depth in alaska parts (using permafrost) in a way to make a freezer... curious if anyone has ideas or experience this way. Or if just making a tradiotional 20' cache is the one and only way. Thanks for the reply.

Friend's place I've stayed at has cache and cellar. Cellar is accessed from the cabin, open a hatch to access, kind of like a crawl space but taller. Worked well. Kept meat in it in the winter, and veggies, milk and such in the summer. I might have some pictures.

Sitkabshmn look down several topics and you'll find one "Root Cellars" might help you. I'd link it, but then I'd have to know what I was doin' and this light bulb ain't that bright.

What I wanna know is how hard is it to dig a root celler in Alaska? I'd think frost would be a problem. Here in Arkansas you can't do it because of all the rocks.

Thats exactly what I was looking for for, I just didn't know the name of it. Thanks for the reply. I agree about how hard it might be to dig one in Alaska, guess it would all depend where exactly what terrain you wanna dig it. I have some property that is on a gradual slope with good drainage so I am hoping that it won't be that much of a chore to dig a root cellar. But I am the kind of guy that can improvise and make do with what ever I am given. It doesn't have to be pretty, just has to work.

Root cellars or a "cold hole" outside are pretty much standard out in the bush or remote sites. But they won't keep meat very long at all. Our root cellar in summer averages about 45deg.

From October until April the whole outside is your freezer, and we keep all meat outside in the meat shed. High caches like you described are for storing things while you are gone, to prevent bears (and even voles) from getting to your food supply.

Digging a root cellar all depends on what type of terrain you built on. Here we have a gravel layer only a couple feet down, that is permafrost/gravel about three feet down, so it took some work to dig the root cellar out. Pickaxe and shovel, had to wait for ground to thaw a few inches each couple days. Isn't that large, maybe four and a half feet deep, and 4 foot square. Shelves inside. Most root cellars were also made to keep things from freezing in winter, like potatoes etc.

Thanks Bushrat... When I finally make the move further into the interior to finally live the life I want the plan is to make a cold hole. I am experienced as far as living outdoors, climbing mountains, hunting, fishing, and such but am always learning. By no means am I the expert. I can do the remote living but have not done it on a permanet status, which is what I want. my concern is long term storage of food, meats and other delicious bounty the bush has to offer and keep it safe from the critters whom roam this land. So I want to know from others experiences what works before I have to trial and error and have to kill any animal (bears) unneccasarily because I failed.