Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Tec Or Yamaha?

Default E-Tec Or Yamaha?

Whats the verdict? Been thinking of buying one or the other, 225HP. I'm concerned about fuel cunsumption of the E-Tec from some things I've heard. I love a yamaha fourstroke but could use the get up and go of the E-Tec if it's as reliable as they say. Will be installed on a 24' Olympic.

Red face ?

I have heard the bigger ETECS are not as fuel and oil efficient as some would think. The ETEC oil is expensive and your warranty is void if you use any other. I have been on an ETEC powered boat and it does have tons of torque.I have heard good things about the Yamaha HPDI 2strokes. Power and decent on fuel. This is all second hand.
    I run a 2 stroke yamaha 200hp on a 22' boat with as expected fuel consumption and more than enough power. (depending on load)
    I might think about a 250 hp also, I think either the Yamaha or Etec weigh the same in 225 or 250.
    The new Suzukis are a very good outboard also. 6 years of warranty! I run a 140hp on a 22' flatbottom and it is pretty smooth and reliable. I will also say the Suzuki shop in Kenai is really good to do business with.
    I have other info and thoughts so pm if you want so I don't run on any more than I have.

I have two of the Yamaha 225's on my 27' Whaler and I like them. I have trolled on one for over 350 hour with a total of 750 hours and this year I pulled the plugs. I was expecting to change them out, but they looked so good I put them back in. I saw no difference between the two motors (other has 450 hours without troll time) If ocean time is your main use, I would go for the Yamahas. If you need fast torque for river, I can't say.

Default Love my E-tech...

I get great efficiency and only use 100 bucks worth of oil a year. you already know the benefits of power the E-tech has. The biggest negative for the E-tech is you cant get reliable service for one. for that reason alone I will not buy another one around southcentral.

Go with a Yamaha 225HPDI, tried and true over the years. I think a Merc Optimax would be more efficient and just as reliable.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Marv ?

Marv 1, What are you seeing for outboards in your neck of the woods? Which do folks like for power and reliability?

The Etec that ran in our group on the last Koyukuk hunt used less oil than I did in my Optimax. He used approximately 70:1 running flat out for hours at a time. Owner told me he had the motor set up to use the less expensive TCW 3 oil.
    The Etec was quieter than mine as well but not anywhere near as quiet as the Honda. But the 4 stroke Honda was the pig of the group in terms of time to plane and fuel consumption.
    Tennessee

Default Snowwolfe

What size boat was the Etec pushing? For that matter what size motor? I saw the other thread and your Wooly pics. Thats a long cold ride to the Koyukuk on some years.
    I do like the looks of the Optimax and have heard all good reports. Amazing how far Mercury has come from being called the "Black Anchor"

All boats were 23 footers with 200's.
    Tennessee

Default My mistake

Sorry Snowwolfe, it was Silvertip that was showing an open Wooldridge with an Optimax in another post.
    Running a 200hp with jet or prop?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    The Etec that ran in our group on the last Koyukuk hunt used less oil than I did in my Optimax. He used approximately 70:1 running flat out for hours at a time. Owner told me he had the motor set up to use the less expensive TCW 3 oil.
    The Etec was quieter than mine as well but not anywhere near as quiet as the Honda. But the 4 stroke Honda was the pig of the group in terms of time to plane and fuel consumption.
    That surprises me that the 4 stroke Honda would be worse on fuel consumption. Were these boats all carrying roughly the same weight?

Yep, If anything the folks running the Etec were heavier than the boat powered by the Honda. The Honda was the pig of the group. Used more gas than either the Opti or Etec and was way slower to plane.
    The owner of the Etec sold his Honda last year because of the dismal fuel mileage and it's inability to get his boat on step without running down the river for a half mile or so.
    But it is really not surprising. Almost every person I talk to who went from a 4 stroke to a DI outboard told me the DI motor was better on gas and quicker to plane. This was the main reason I went with the Optimax. I most likely would of bought an Etec is I did not have to take it to "you know who" in Anchorage for servicing.
    So far I am happy with the Opti, just wished it was a little less noisy.
    Tennessee

Merc's are showing up alot more than E-tec's, but Yammi's still rule. Those that bought the E-tec's are regretting buying them, 0 service from the Anchorage dealership as usual.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default It's not the 200hp version, but here is some information...

Take a peek at these peaks! Wonder if this is true across the range of products...anyone see other data reports to support the superior torque curves of one brand versus another?

Default ?

I can't see a thing.

Default Sorry about that! Let's try again...

I have heard the bigger ETECS are not as fuel and oil efficient as some would think. The ETEC oil is expensive and your warranty is void if you use any other. I have been on an ETEC powered boat and it does have tons of torque.I have heard good things about the Yamaha HPDI 2strokes. Power and decent on fuel. This is all second hand.
    A manufacturer cannot force one to use "their oil" or any other products where warranty is concerned as long as the product "other brand" meets the required specifications. The only exception is if the manufacturer is the only supplier/producer of a product that meets spec. And never take the word of the salesman concerning these issues... get it from the manual.

The gent running the Etec in our hunting group told me he had his motor set up to use regular TCW3 oil. It can be picked up at Costco for about $41 per 3 gallon case.
    Tennessee

Default etec oil

I did know that the etecs could be set up to use regular tcw3. 338, I do think I remember the salesman saying that about the oil, but I thought I also heard that the etecs we bought for work wouldn't be completely warranteed without using the etec oil. Anyway.
    A mechanic friend of mine said the tcw3 oil that Evinrude made for their defunct FICHT motors is some of the best tcw3 around. He tried to explain to me why, but it was way above my head.

Default look at all the outboard boats

what do you see more of? Yamaha's or E-Tec's? I am sure E-Tec's are great but again, look at what is on the water these days... I use to be a die hard merc fan, but now only own Yamaha's for two reasons, 1st, look at what is mostly on the water today, second is service. As a third note, I spend a few hundred hours on the rivers and the oceans and I have never had to see a yamaha towed in because of engine issues. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I think its rare. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast