Thread: Meat care?

Default Meat care?

Obviously the best thing is to keep hair and stuff out of the meat but after butchering at night in freezing temps with a dying headlamp I know we got some hair on the meat. Well it is frozen in the back of my truck now so what should my next step be? We are planning to have it processed but I am not sure if we should try and thaw it and clean it before we deliver it to the processor or if they clean it up? If we should clean it then any recommendations on how best to do that are appreciated! I am not sure if rinsing the meat would be advisable and I am not sure if I should thaw the meat to clean it up or just take it straight to the processor frozen

Depends on where you take it. Most processors charge a fee 10 cents a pound and I've heard up to 40 cents a pound for really dirty hairy meat. I personally like to pick the meat clean and let it build a crust that can be shaved off just before processing. I have in the past taken a small propane torch and burned hair off when I had a limited amount of time to deal with meat. Sounds bad, kinda sketchy but works great. I've never notice any negative affects to the meat by doing it either. However, I've never done it to meat that had a lot of hair on it. You have to be fast!! Keeping the flame just far enough away from the meat moving it back and forth to burn the hair but not heat up the meat. It's easy once you start. Kinda like burning the hair on you arm by accident and not burning your skin. I think everyone has done it a time or two.

A slick trick our meat proccessor does that I saw him do one time was take a propane torch and just burn all the hair off. Fast and effective and doesn't affect the meat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

besides.. it is fresh ; the butcher will let it hang first and them trim it...

me i would take it home toss it in the tub and have the missus chop it n to sizable chunks..... after all...

didn't she shoot it?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default IMO....

I just took a nice bull moose and once I got started skinning and quartering, I got a call from my neighbor saying that my wife was headed to the hospital (another story) but she wasnt supposed to say anything until she knew what was going on, because she wanted me to get my bull. So I finished in a BIG hurry so I could get to the hospital- the meat was pretty dirty, but I took it to Indian Valley Meats and they were really cool about it. I was really embarrassed showing up with that dirty stuff, but they assured me that it was FAR from the worst they had ever seen. They only charged me 10 cents/lb to clean it up. Small price to pay in my opinion to make sure that my meat was properly taken care of by someone who knows what they are doing. Turned out great!

Default Meat care.

I use the small propane burns torch also, but before hand mix up a pot of warm water with vinegar. ( 1cup vinegar per 1 gal. water) Use a clean cloth and wipe the meat down with the vinegar/water solution. It will get most of the hair, then use the burns torch to get the remaining hairs, then wipe down with the solution one more time.

I just got back from Indian Valley, they looked the meat over and said it looked great! No charge for any cleanup at all! The total weight was 300lbs with the 4 quarters on the bone but everything else boned out. We burgered most of it except some roasts and 25lbs of Jalopeno cheese dogs which after trying the sample I had to have. I also picked up 10lbs of pepper sticks for boys to snack on. Great customer service there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I just got back from Indian Valley, they looked the meat over and said it looked great! No charge for any cleanup at all! The total weight was 300lbs with the 4 quarters on the bone but everything else boned out. We burgered most of it except some roasts and 25lbs of Jalopeno cheese dogs which after trying the sample I had to have. I also picked up 10lbs of pepper sticks for boys to snack on. Great customer service there as well.
    Your going to wish you had more than that made, that is my all time favorite product from Indian Valley Meats!!

Default last year

I dropped off 200+ lbs of meat last Nov. to turn into Jalepeno/cheese dogs. They were gone by June!

Plan on dropping off more than 200# in Nov. when I head to Los Anchorage. There is no doubt, those are some of the best eating available anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Yeah, they are really good people in there arent they? I didnt get the jalapeno dogs- starting to think that was a mistake. I was very surprised at the breakfast sausage and the bratwurst! Absolutely delicious!!!! The brats were the first thing I cooked up, and didnt have a whole lot of time and it was getting late, so I just did them in a skillet with a little water. They smelled horrible- I didnt want to say anything because I knew that the wife was thinking the same thing. But once we tried them, WOW are they good. Made me feel a little better since we had 45# of them in the freezer! Also the pepper and teryaki sticks are really good too!