Thread: ice fishing

Default ice fishing

anyone know if the anchorage lakes are frozen yet like sand lake please let me know if u have any info

Default ice fishing anchorage

jewel lake is still open

Default Delong

I don't know about Sand, but I stopped by Delong Lake yesterday and it had about an inch or two of ice near shore. Still too early for me
    Maybe in afew weeks if the temps stay cold.

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Default thanks

just cant wait there gotta be somewhere to go ice fishing

Default Still early

for ice fishing...most people I know won't venture onto the ice until 6". I don't trust it til a little thicker

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by akjeremy View Post
    anyone know if the anchorage lakes are frozen yet like sand lake please let me know if u have any info
    Dude this is Alaska not Antarctica be patient, Believe me the will be PLENTY of days you can go ice fishing. As a matter of fact make sure you invest in a power auger. For those days when the ice is 3 feet thick... Wait a few more weeks It wont be long.

Stopped by Sand yesterday. There was enough ice to walk on at the inlet off of 80th St. The rest of the lake looked froze up. Didn't have my auger with so I couldn't test the depth but it was enough for me to walk all the way down the inlet. Jewel was froze up and it looked like someone had been out there drilling holes, no one fishing. Mirror Lake north of Eagle River was covered with ice and there was a few fisherman out there yesterday. Saw them catch a few small trout.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Its 5 above this morning in the Valley. I would like to see this trend continue for about a week or so before I will start testing the smaller lakes out here. I personally do not like going out on 4 inch ice. This doesnt leave much of a margin for error. Keeep your gear wieght to a minimum, wear your sos suspenders and carry a set of ice spikes around your neck they could save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    Its 5 above this morning in the Valley. I would like to see this trend continue for about a week or so before I will start testing the smaller lakes out here. I personally do not like going out on 4 inch ice. This doesnt leave much of a margin for error. Keeep your gear wieght to a minimum, wear your sos suspenders and carry a set of ice spikes around your neck they could save your life.
    Good advice, but better yet wait. If the ice is 4 to 6 inches, what about those areas that have flowing water under them that is a little warmer, I mean you could fall through. I like excitement, but that would just ruin my day.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

i took a walk out on sand lake and drilled a couple holes on little campbell lake last night. there was almost 6 inches of ice so i decided to go a little farther out and fish. drilled my holes and dropped some eggs and then got scared off the lake when i realized how active the ice was. it was cracking and pinging and make a ton of noise. i've been out on ice that was making noise but i don't like it! it was shaking the water in my ice hole. most likely wait 'till the weekend and go up north before i try again.

Default Noisy Ice

This old guy in Utah told me that when the ice is noisy it is a good thing because it is expanding/growing/getting thicker. Still makes me feel nervous too...expecially when it cracks right between your feet even though you know that it is 12 inches thick.

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    This old guy in Utah told me that when the ice is noisy it is a good thing because it is expanding/growing/getting thicker. Still makes me feel nervous too...expecially when it cracks right between your feet even though you know that it is 12 inches thick.

Totally true noisy ice is a good thing it means it is making more ice. It is a bit unnerving though. I remember being out on Lake Simcoe in Ontario fishing lakers one year. 12 miles from shore in mid winter with 3+ feet of ice and having the shack vibrate due to the ice cracking. At one point the shack felt like it raised 6" off the ice. When returning to shore we found out why.........it seems that the big vibration was a huge pressure ridge forming right by the shore. The hut operator had to drop us off and we had to climb over a 20' high ice ridge to get back to shore. Pretty freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Good advice, but better yet wait. If the ice is 4 to 6 inches, what about those areas that have flowing water under them that is a little warmer, I mean you could fall through. I like excitement, but that would just ruin my day.
    I pretty much stay clear off flowing water until January. Thats my rule anyways. It is dangerous anytime as far as I am concerned. Echo Lake is at 3 inches as of yesterday around the bridge.