Thread: Gland lure Expiration

Question Gland lure Expiration

Anyone have any opinions on how long to keep and use gland lure. I still have a large supply of mink gland, otter gland and beaver castor that I purchased about three seasons ago. Last year was not my most productive mink season and I'm wondering if it had something to do with continuing to use gland lure from seasons past. Definitley didn't have anything to do with lack of mink by the sign I was seeing. I have never saved urine for more than 6 months, wondering if I should do the same with glands. Prior to three seasons ago I only purchased small bottles of lure and would usually use them up in a season or order more when needed. I made purchases of large bottles to try and cut down on shipping cost of so many orders. Bad idea????? I also store all my lures in a small fridge throughout the summer. Do you think a freezer better? I have an outdoor freezer I progressivley fill with bait through the summer. I could use it but I have to admit every once in a while in the summer I like opening up the lure fridge and getting a good stinky whiff to remind me of the season to come. The wife hates it and usually comes out with a disgusted look to open up the garage door. I love it!!!!

Is it a commercially prepared? (ie. preserved) If its just straight glands I would think that a freezer would be better. I know my trapping partner keeps his castor in a freezer and it seems to work well. We used some this past spring that was something like 4-5 years old, worked fine. Not exactly sure on the mink or otter glands though, they might be different. Might be worth it to invest in some preservative, I would think that would make it last a lot longer without freezing it.

Yep, commercially prepared. Milligans brand purchased from the snare shop.

yeah it should be fine then. The castor I use is from Blackie's. Bought it 2 years ago and the beavers still seem to like it a lot. During the summer it sits out, not even in a fridge. Took two right when the season opened this year with it.