Thread: historic cabin ruins

Default historic cabin ruins

Anyone have pictures of old cabins they have come across in their wilderness travels? I think it's kind of neat to wander upon these ruins from a time long ago and think about the folks that built them and how they did it. I've come across a handful over the years, from the Alaska Range down to places like Thumb Cove out of Seward. It always takes me back to a simpler time. Just wondering if any of you wouldn't mind posting pics if you have any.

I have a couple photos, and will put themon here in the next few days.

The Alaska Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) has bookcases full of pictures of the historical cabins they have burned down and also pictures of the ones they are going to burn down. You can look at the pictures at the office in Anchorage. They have to let you see them, because they are public records. Just go in and ask to see them.

Who said they could Burn them?
    Tim

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Who said they could Burn them?
    Ummmm,......"They" did. It is their policy to eliminate them from all public lands.

That strikes me as a very stupid policy.

Default historic cabins

I was on a wilderness elk hunt in Idaho several years ago and the outfitter showed me a cabin that was built in the early 1800's by trappers. It made me sick when he told me that the newly graduated govt. worker informed him that the cabin would be destroyed and removed soon. Later that week we were stopped on the trail by the gal and rudely told to remove the small wooden box we had put at a water spring to gather water for the horses. She told us the wilderness area was to have no permanent human sign. Damm, It still me makes me mad to think someone would tear down that little dugout 1/2 walled cabin.

public lands my *****! We should put the public back in the land!

Where is Gov. Palin

This is exactly the kind of BS she said, she would stop!

post a link to this DNR policy if you can find one!
    Tim