Thread: Utility Sled... Workers, Wood Haulers, Hunters Advise

Default Utility Sled... Workers, Wood Haulers, Hunters Advise

Greetings all,

I am hoping to get some help from you veteran Snowmobile riders.

I have been riding snowmobiles for about four years and am still learning much. Out of ignorance my first purchase was a 4 stroke machine a Yamaha 05' RX-1, then purchased an 07' Attack. I know I said out of ignorance I purchased 4 stroke but honestly mostly since that is all I have ever known I wouldn't have anything else. I have heard all the arguments and all the jokes about RX ton etc but in my experience thus far I get about 21 mpg and don't smell like I have been smoking exhaust, and as far as the weight is concerned stuck is stuck whether its 400+ lbs 500+lbs. Lastly if you compare the weight say between the Tundra LT 500F and LT V-800 there is only 39 lbs difference @almost 300 more cc's. But I said all this just to lay down some history for my next question.

I am now in the market for a snowmobile that is geared more towards the serious worker more so than the serious player. I have narrowed my choices down to three models to include the Tundra LT V-800, Scandic SWT V-800, and the new 09 Arctic Cat Bearcat Z-1 XT.

I really like the new Bearcat but I am reluctant because it is so new even though the motor and chasis have been out for a couple of years. I am not against the Ski Doo's but they have had a couple of recalls as of late.

My first question is about the service record of the brands themself. How do they hold up? In the area I live it is very secluded as a matter of fact I will have to get anything I buy shipped in and I do not have access to a local dealership so most of the work I do I will have to do myself.

My second question is about the different suspensions & chassis and how they compare.

Thirdly is a two fold question dealing with the weight issue and flotation. The Arctic cat has a dry weight of 707lbs, but it does have a 20x156" track. The Tundra LT weighs 539 with a 16X154, and the Skandic SWT is 717 with a 24x156. What do you guys think about the deep snow flotation of these machines?

I have been reading different forums and it seems most of the people in the utility market like all these models but I have yet to get advice from Alaskan's

If anyone out there can help with any or all of these questions I would be appreciative.

Thanks

My favorite fat tracked work sled is a Yamaha VK Professional. Too bad for me I can't wear out my VK540-III 2 stroke. I've ridden the rest. I'm sticking with what I have.

Just a quick note for those looking for a VK500. Anchorage Yamaha has 2 93 era machines that are almost like new. I looked at them. They are sweet.

I am building a cabin. I purchased a 97 Tundra II after witnessing one pulling 10 inches of sheetrock and a bunch of firewood on an ahkio sled made up of 4 ahkios in tandem. He walked right off with the load.

I have been looking at the new 550 Tundra.

Default Either!

I just picked up a bearcat 660 turbo widetrack for hauling lumber, gear and my daughter into my cabin and now I am looking for the 550 Tundra LT for my wife to ride and for me when the bearcat is too heavy for whatever I am doing. Now we just need some snow so I can start using it!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I'll tell you one thing, its sure hard to see Tundra written on the side of the new LT 500 cuz its the furthest thing possible from all the tundra's I have ever ridden. I can stand the front end up in the air off the slightest bump with me and my boy on it (300+ lbs) when I punch it while cruising along at 30 or so. It turns in the tighest places and the long track with some actual lugs (1.5") on it sure grab. I am hoping to get this thing in the mountains this coming week! The 8 or so inches we have on the ground around here arent even close enough to fill the atv ruts yet. May not get 20+ mpg and it may not be quiet, but its been proven....and the performance upgrades they have done to this model make it a heck of an all around fun/utility machine.

Default how much for these?

"Just a quick note for those looking for a VK500. Anchorage Yamaha has 2 93 era machines that are almost like new. I looked at them. They are sweet."

What are they asking for these sleds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    "Just a quick note for those looking for a VK500. Anchorage Yamaha has 2 93 era machines that are almost like new. I looked at them. They are sweet."

What are they asking for these sleds?
    While they are cherry, they are also 15 years old. See what they are asking today. 2500 and 3299 come to mind....

Default cannot beat the SWT

As a long term rider and freight hauler you cannot beat the SWT for deep snow or hauling. I had 2, now 1 and will not be selling it anytime soon!
    I haul double trailers that are 4x8 (nearly 20 feet long in tandem). You may see me hauling down the Big Su or up the Yentna or Skwentna...just don't get in the way!

Oh and I do have a 175 hp with a 151" paddle. Great on stee and in the mountains but I cannot go at idle speed in the deep or stop and back up like on my SWT.