Thread: no bark collars?

Default no bark collars?

My pup is getting to that barking all the time stage just cause she can apparently. i've tried holding her snout closed and saying no bark and tryed to ignore her and kennel her when she does. shes not barking at anything important like intruders. does anyone recommend a no bark collar??? is this a bad idea or good?? she does bark alot in the bird field she hasnt gotten the understanding of whoa or hold. she barks at her toys playing and she barks at about anything??? please any advice would be great
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think a bark collar on a pup is a bad idea... it is part of their playing routine...she is only 3 months now...??? let her grow and mature first... i think you'll see her grow out of it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Im sure youll get alot of better replies on here from the more knowledgeable trainers on the site but the one thing you dont want to due is training the dog to know that the kennel is a bad thing for the dog. If you keep the dog kenneled and you put the dog in the kennel to reprimand it then they will associate the kennel as a bad thing and always think it is being reprimanded when it goes in the kennel if that makes any sense to you. I had the same thing wrong with my lab and he would not stop barking at all, when I took him to the trainer he actually shocked the dog with a cattle prod 3 times and used the no bark command and let me tell you that was the ticket. He totally learned that barking was a no go and when he did all you had to say was " no bark ". He knows that when he is getting kenneled that he is going hunting or he is going for a long trip. I wouldnt recommend that at three months but would look at some basic obediance training.

Default no bark

sounds fair enough. I think i understnad what you mean altough i prolly already baby her she rides in the front seat of my 4 door F350 already lol. my wife already complains i spend more time with the dog than her. I do understand your point though. but really the only time she has spent in the kennel so far is while I am not home or during house cleaning. she will probably no ever see a kennel in the field... any recommendations on that one??? Im learning here so any advice is great

My lab knows he is going hunting when I kennel him, other than that he is always out in the house and in my truck. When I know I am going hunting and taking him with me I dont keep him out. I keep him kenneled for a few hours before I go and then kennel him in the truck also that way when we get to our hunting grounds he has more energy then he knows what to do with. I found that if you leave him out and free to do whatever then when you get to the field he has energy but not the energy to work well.

With a young pup, you need to teach the command "Quiet" or "Hush". If the pup barks, grab his muzzle and command "No, Quiet". Do this whenever he barks and you don't want him barking. You have to be consistent. If they are in their crate, alot of times I will just smack the side of the crate loudly and give the same command, "No, Quiet."
    Young pups are usually quite receptive in picking up new commands. Start young and you will not have to resort to a cattle prod.
    Cattle prods are for cattle. They shouldn't be used on your dog.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree i dont like the prod idea either im not letting anyone do that to my dog.

Default mine

When Cedar was a pup she cried and barked for almost 3 weeks all day long until we got home. The neighbors complained and the dog cops left us a note that they were going to take her away if she didn't stop.

We put her in the bathroom for that first week and left a recorder in there so we would know whether she was barking. For a tiny 8 wk old puppy she sure knew how to yap. When we got home she would quit. As long as we were there she was fine.

As she got older she would apparently keep barking when we were gone - we got a fine telling us so. Couldn't handle it any longer so we bought a 50$ sportsmen's warehouse collar. Best 50$ we ever spent on her except maybe some dog food.

I still use the bark collar sometimes as when she first gets in the truck she likes to give a couple barks -the collar stops her - nothing else I have done was consistent to stop it.

I highly recommend the bark collar vs. having some evil gov't dude take my dog! He/She would have had a fight on their hands! LOL.