Thread: Locations?

Default Locations?

Ever since seeing Alone In the Wilderness on PBS, I've wanted to do the same, though I've wanted to be a "mountain man" since I was 8.

Now that I'm in Alaska, I'm closer than I thought I would be to that dream.

After getting established (financially and physically), I'd like to buy a piece of land and build a log cabin of my own.

I'd like to begin by getting information on ideal locations. I used to think I wanted to be around Fairbanks territory, but after making friends with a guy from Fairbanks, it doesn't sound like the "best" location. He says it's basically an desert, and he has gone thirsty in the summer.

I'm looking for an area with good wood for cabin building, near a water source (preferably a lake), mountains where I can hunt dall sheep, and has decent weather (by that I mean not overcast the majority of the times like south-east Alaska). Somewhere close enough to civilization where I can have supplies flown in, but be relatively free of tourists.

Any idea of what areas I should look into, and real estate brokers?

Thanks,
    Jason

Default Have you considered Eagle River?

Good water, Mountains, Lakes, Dall sheep and a Super Wal-Mart opening soon.

Come on, Live on the edge. Move out to Bush Chugiak.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Jason.. LOL Have you been to Fairbanks?
    the interior is in fact... in the winter, considered one step above an arctic desert. however the annual snow fall excludes that definition because of the water content. in the summer... water is in every thing if you know where to look for it. and carry a filter. streams, ponds, tundra puddles or even stands of black spruce with heavy moss undergrowth... there is water there..

unfortunately there are a lot of new folks up here as well that have spent a little time in town and gotten to know some Alaskan.....(not say you friend is one) but if people don't get out and look they wont really ever know what they are telling you..my point is. don't take the first thing you hear for granted.... cause as a rule of thumb in alaska... if you don't like the weather wait 5min... and in the interior on many occasions all you have to do is cross the street. to finds it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    Ever since seeing Alone In the Wilderness on PBS, I've wanted to do the same, though I've wanted to be a "mountain man" since I was 8.

Now that I'm in Alaska, I'm closer than I thought I would be to that dream.

After getting established (financially and physically), I'd like to buy a piece of land and build a log cabin of my own.

I'd like to begin by getting information on ideal locations. I used to think I wanted to be around Fairbanks territory, but after making friends with a guy from Fairbanks, it doesn't sound like the "best" location. He says it's basically an desert, and he has gone thirsty in the summer.

I'm looking for an area with good wood for cabin building, near a water source (preferably a lake), mountains where I can hunt dall sheep, and has decent weather (by that I mean not overcast the majority of the times like south-east Alaska). Somewhere close enough to civilization where I can have supplies flown in, but be relatively free of tourists.

Any idea of what areas I should look into, and real estate brokers?

Thanks,
    Jason
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here