Thread: 8mm Mauser?

Default 8mm Mauser?

How would an 8mm Mauser fare for hunting some of the big game (except bear) around here? I'd be using hand loaded ammo with hunting bullets, not military hardball.

I have a custom made left handed K98 coming up sometime (parts taken from a pre-'43 K98k and put on a new Charles-Daily Mauser action). When I ordered it 3 years ago I had wanted to make a replica K98k sniper, but now I figure I'll just shoot it until it's worn out. Then I'll have it re-smithed into a hunting rifle.

What do you think, would it do the job well enough?

Jason

Its' performance is right about where a 30-06 is and it makes a little larger hole. With quality projectiles it would make a dandy big game rifle. Have fun working up those handloads, it is one of my favorite aspects of shooting.

I also have a custom mauser 98 and here's its stats... using 56.5 gr IMR4064 and 175 gr Sierra SBT's I'm getting 2970 fps and 3428 muzzle energy....

Note: I'll give credit where credits due....my Father worked up this load

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    but now I figure I'll just shoot it until it's worn out. Then I'll have it re-smithed into a hunting rifle.
    Now that may take a while (lifetime!)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thumbs up Totally unbiased opinion

Not that I'm partial or anything...

The 8x57 JS is a fantastic all-around cartridge for Alaska. With handloads, you can throw 125 grain bullets almost as fast as an '06, and 200 grain bullets a little faster.

With the popularity of the .325 WSM, you've got a wider variety of 8mm bullets to choose from, and that Charles Daly/K98 should put them where you need them, once the shooter does his part.

I shoot 180s from my '06 and 200s from my 8x57, but you can get 180 grain bullets for your Mauser, too. I recommend the heck out of 4350, and have so far seen good things from RL-15 (though I'm still working up with that one.) With lighter bullets, don't be afraid of going with a powder as fast as 3031.

If I were going out looking for a brown bear, I might want to toss those .323", 200 grain pills a little faster than my 8x57 can do. But I hunt in the big bear woods carrying my 8x57 and don't feel under-gunned for bear defense at all.

Enjoy!

How do the factory 8mm mauser loads stack up? I heard a rumor they are very underpowered compared to a hand load or surplus.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so here several years ago.. an old timer handed me an 8mm Mauser. i lost all my gun in a fire and he brought it down to me telling me every man needs a gun in the house...and would not take no for an answer... unfortunately he passed away that winter. so now i have one i will never get rid of. so how do i tell what i have? i cant hit the side of a barn with the sight that is on it... but i haven't messed with it much...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so how do i tell what i have? i cant hit the side of a barn with the sight that is on it... but i haven't messed with it much...
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

k here it is on the right... nest to the other i cant not find... there is NO identifying marking on the 8 MM... the longer one i believe is 303 British chamber. ( but not sure) the 8 MM looks to have a newer action on it. or at least the bluing is better....

not to hijack the thread but i too have always wondered how it would be for a hunting rig...

8 MM on right and action
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

forend of 8 mm

meet on face book here

#2 in 303 Brit ... I think... i tried really hard to get a shot of the crest it appears to be a sun with a pyramid in it... i would like to say egypt.... but i don't know.. and have not found any photos or literature to identify it.

meet on face book here

last two... the second is the removed spring clip and the fold out in the but stock. for cleaning kit?

any way.. any ideas? this one came from my father.. it hung with they styre m 95... for as long as my memory goes back.. i am currently trying to pull the styre back in to shape.

meet on face book here

Default Mauser Rifles

Vince, The rifle on the left in your pic appears to be a Siamese Mauser Type 47/66 Carbine. Might have some collector value. The caliber is either 8x50 Rimmed or 8x52 Rimmed unless someone has rechambered the rifle. This is not the standard 8mm Mauser chambering so don't try to fire the rifle with 8mm Mauser ammo! Look at this website: www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesMauser.html. Scroll down until you find your rifle!

The other Mauser 98 appears to be in excellent condition but I would have a gunsmith check it before firing any modern ammo or reloads. Any markings would help identify it.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Vince, The rifle on the left in your pic appears to be a Siamese Mauser Type 47/66 Carbine. Might have some collector value. The caliber is either 8x50 Rimmed or 8x52 Rimmed unless someone has rechambered the rifle. This is not the standard 8mm Mauser chambering so don't try to fire the rifle with 8mm Mauser ammo! Look at this website: www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesMauser.html. Scroll down until you find your rifle!

The other Mauser 98 appears to be in excellent condition but I would have a gunsmith check it before firing any modern ammo or reloads. Any markings would help identify it.
    the one on the right is the one the ol timer gave me with a few boxes ammo... i have fired it and it works great... i just want to know more about it.... the rear sight is so slim i can hardly see through it any more so i can't hit squat with it.... they are now both sentimental pieces. that i would like to refinish... unless thats a bad thing...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post

the one on the right is the one the ol timer gave me with a few boxes ammo... i have fired it and it works great... i just want to know more about it.... the rear sight is so slim i can hardly see through it any more so i can't hit squat with it.... they are now both sentimental pieces. that i would like to refinish... unless thats a bad thing... the only marking on it is the serial number...

meet on face book here

pulled them! up wow thanks for that site.!.. i would have to say the 46/66 it is much to long for the carbine and the sling swivles are under not along side...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by spawnedsalmon View Post
    How do the factory 8mm mauser loads stack up? I heard a rumor they are very underpowered compared to a hand load or surplus.
    Somewhere between the 1888 and the 1898, the bore went from .318 to .323. European ammunition makers include a warning to make sure you don't fire .323 ammo in a .318 bore. Their cartridges are up to snuff.

American ammunition manufacturers include the same warning, then limit the maximum pressure so that ignoring the warning is unlikely to blow up a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia

The American standardizing body for sporting cartridges SAAMI designates the 7.92x57mm IS latter cartridge as the 8 mm Mauser, also known as 8x57mm JS. However, the SAAMI pressure limitation for this cartridge is taken from the older 7.92x57mm I and is limited to (Piezo SAAMI Pmax = 241,317 MPa [35,000 psi]) or 37,500 CUP. This is done for safety, in case the modern cartridge is fired in an 'I' bore rifle that has a narrower throat diameter, to avoid excess pressure in that area.
    To avoid potentially serious accidents, it is important to distinguish clearly between cartridges loaded for these two different bullet diameters, and only fire them in appropriately chambered/barrelled rifles.
    Know what you're doing, never put the wrong size ammunition in your rifle, and the Mauser won't let you down. There's no reason for it to be a popgun.