Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nov. Deer hunt Whitter

Default Nov. Deer hunt Whitter

I'm looking on going out. Nov. 7-10. Anyone else thinking on going out then?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

How did the Ultimate Sportsman Competition go ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Good. Very tough. The first two events were not my strong suit. I weathered the storm and now it's time for me to shine!!!!! Next trip will be my strong suit. I will have my bow in hand !!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I'm looking on going out. Nov. 7-10. Anyone else thinking on going out then?
    I'll be on Raspberry island those days hunting deer and elk.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Which island are you thinking of going to? Have you heard any reports this year as far as deer activity/hunting success? A group of us are going that same weekend out of seward to montague.

I haven't heard anything so far. I'm going out to have some fun. A deer would be icing on the cake.
    I'm still up in the air which island to go to. I might go back to the one I was at last year. We got one in a day and half hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Last week I saw several boats heading over to Macpherson pass. They must be hunting Naked or Peake Islands. Everytime I go by Storey, it sure looks like it would be the island I picked on (small with numerous clearings). Does anyone ever hit the small islands like Smith or the Dutch Group?

Hey Gary, If you need some on to help shoot your deer let me know, I'm off work that week. Buck

Buck, I was trying to get a hold of you. My phone died on me. I will count you in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Also planning to head out that week....

I have Port Chalmers reserved that weekend. But will head out of Whittier. Of course this is weather permitting and I have yet to see a weather forecast that tells me its going to be good to go. Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    I have Port Chalmers reserved that weekend. But will head out of Whittier. Of course this is weather permitting and I have yet to see a weather forecast that tells me its going to be good to go. Andy
    Race you there
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Charterboat Operator

Gary- i think we are going to attemp that weekend also, is your plan to head back to my favorite spot?? drop me a PM if you get a chance, was thinking of going there but doing some exploring on the way out.

Greg

I just got back from deer hunting in the sound. I ended up taking 4 deer even though I saw several more. The other two guys I went with took 2 and 1 each. The weather was pretty nasty and we got weathered in for 4 days.

Nice. Details now. Can't leave us hanging like that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Not much for details. We only got 2 small bucks, the rest were does. The hunting was pretty tough, but a lot of fun. We tried glassing, but did not have any luck hunting like that so we basically just had to move slow and be ready to shoot. The deer would jump up and would either run away never to be seen again or would stop and get shot. I went to the same island this year as I went last year and I was really suprised by how many deer we seen compared to last, I had heard reports of low numbers, but IMO that was bad info, there are lots of deer, you just have to get out and hunt hard to find them. As far as the weather goes, we waited to leave the island 3 days past our chosen day to leave, and then we waited in Culross passage for another 2 nights before we battled our way into whittier. The weather report was pretty shotty I thought, but we made it home alive and we have a little meat for the winter.

I am curious how much does it usually cost to get a water taxi out to one of those Islands? I have wanted to go try for some deer for several years.

While we were out there, Alaska Good Time charters pulled into the bay we were staying in and they had 5 or 6 hunters. I looked them up and they charge from 1250 per person to 2150 per person depending on the size of the party and number of nights stayed. I am not referring you to these guys or anything, I don't have any experience with them, so I couldn't tell you if they are a good or bad outfit, I just happened to see them out there.

Thank you. It at least gives me a general idea of what I would be looking at.

Default Raspberry

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I'll be on Raspberry island those days hunting deer and elk.
    I'll be there Nov 2 - 8 for deer and elk

5 years ago we were picked up by Sound Eco Adventures out of whittier. It was $1250 for the Montague to Whitier trip. A friend took us out.

I imagine with current fuel prices you'd be looking at $4-5 k for a drop off and pick up, so the more members in your party the less the cost. The state cabins typically fit 4 adults. There is also the option of flying out from Anchorage, I haven't priced air service.

The upside of a water taxi is you can carry more gear than a boat. Having a small inflatable with an o/b will allow you to cover more ground than just hiking out from the cabin. Not sure which one is a better bet regarding weather delays. This time of year you have to expect delays getting out, and getting back. We were fortunate to have great weather the week we were there, and it was just starting to pick up on the trip back. I'd highly recomend bringing a sat phone to keep in touch with whoever takes you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast