Thread: What's the outlook on fur prices this winter??

Default What's the outlook on fur prices this winter??

Anyone got a clue as to what we are looking at for possible fur prices this winter/spring what with the global economic meltdown? I'd imagine the outlook is pretty bleak.

Thanks,

I have been lookin at North American Fur Auction's website. Their forecast looks pretty good for the coming season. They say the market has less to do with the economy and more with the weather in the foreign countries. I am still gonna go after the fur no matter what.

Default Ya!

Amen brother!!!!!!!:d

I've talked to a couple of guys who are more or less in the loop. They think the economy will have it's effect, the demand for furs will be there but buyers will be very picky buying only the best lots. From everything I hearing it will be more quality and less quantity. Thing will tighten up but the good fur handler will do OK.
    Chuck

Smile

No rocket science. Every year NAFA "PREDICTS" good prices. That is thier job, and thier bread and butter. No fur for sale, no money.
    Reality: Has anyone ever known what the market will do prior to doing it? NO.
    Otherwise there would be alot of wealthy country buyers out there!
    Have fun, catch fur. The rest is gravy. If you want to speculate, pan for gold.

Default I dunno...

Thanks for the info guys. Asian markets dropped another 12%...and gold is going down too. I kinda doubt marten prices are even gonna bring half of what they did last year. For many trappers there is a point where costs override benefits...especially the airplane trappers. So I dunno...but I don't personally think things are looking good. Guess we'll see. I think I'll try to make some hats and mitts for sale this winter rather than sell all raw fur.
    Good luck to all,

Personally, with the world wide economy, I don't think fur prices will be good at all. There is no way that marten and lynx will bring what they did last year.

A guy's best bet is to find an alternative market or do what bushrat is doing and make things out of the fur.

Default I agree

I am going to be pessimistic on the prices this year and hope I am surprised later, but won't put a lot of hope in it. If the rest of the worlds economy was good, I'd say good prices, but seeing how everyone is affected by it, I say a serious drop in prices. JMO

I'll probably sell most locally again, I usually do better that way anyhow.

Bushrat, good idea on the making stuff. My wife gets all my fur after tanning it amounts to 100 pelts a year give or take 25 depending on the season. Anyway it all gets sewed up and with proper pricing you can do well this way as long as you have the markets. It took her awhile we started with this 10 years ago and about 15 beaver and other furs. this year she needs 50 beaver and a pile of additional fur just to fill the markets she has. Needless to say I will be out there pounding away.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Glad I looked here as I was thinking about what the outlook for fur was this year too. And if it was worthwhile do any marten trapping this season or not.

We generally got nice dark marten here, so we may do OK.
    Anyone with the latest info, please post it.

Thanks,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley