Thread: New York Institute of Photography?

Default New York Institute of Photography?

Has anyone taken any of their courses? If so, please tell me which one and what you thought.

Thanks

Troy

http://www.nyip.com/courses/?operati...gn=Lead2Enroll

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Has anyone taken any of their courses? If so, please tell me which one and what you thought.

Thanks

Troy

http://www.nyip.com/courses/?operati...gn=Lead2Enroll
    Hey Troy,

I took the only course they had available a few years ago. I am not sure what is available now and I haven't bothered looking. Back when I took it, you only had the conventional film camera course. I am sure the lessons are basically the same (because DOF, aperture and time are the same on any camera). I learned a bit from it. Are you completely new to photography? If not you aren't going to get much out of it. The feed back you get from the instructors is useful. In hind sight do I think it is worth the 900 I spent on it?.... no. I found that I learned more on sites like photosig.com and the feed back you receive after you submit a photo. Spend some money on good books, spend time on amazon and read the reviews on any given photog book you are interested in. I could give you some recommendations, but I have everything I own packed up since I am moving. I looked for books with visual diagrams especially for lighting set-up (if shooting inside with strobes etc.) Capturing lots n lots of photos with good notes will help you see what works and what doesn't.

Save your money, but a couple real good books and practice, practice and more practice!

Happy shooting,
    Brian

I had contacted someone a few months back that took it. Not advised from what they told me. I would consider getting some books and learning on your own. Be sure to buy a book specific to your camera as well. There are books for all popular cameras. Check out the "Digital Field Guide for Canon Xsi" type books. Very good and they teach you how to use your camera. Also, dvds for popular cameras are available. Not as much to it as it first seems. I got lots of help with the many available magazines. Check out B&H and Amazon for books. Many out there. Also, check out the following online forums. Read there. Post some questions. You will be full of more info than you can process in no time at all.

www.photo.net

www.photocamel.com

Photography-on-the-net

One other thing, as far as magazines go, the British photo mags are tops. Digital Photo, Photo Plus, etc.. are some names. They can be found in nicer book stores. They are easily to recognize as they are about 1" taller than the american mags. And a bit wider perhaps too. These UK mags are filled with "how to" sections.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

When I took it in the late 80's it was focused more to studio photography. If I were going to do it again I would buy some books and videos targeted to the areas I was interested in. They did have a lot of theory and application I don't think you will get burned if you take it I just wouldn't do it again.
    Chuck