Thread: What calls should I get?

Default What calls should I get?

My son would like to try some calling for fox, wolf, and anything else they may come into calls. I'm not interested in any electronics. We live around Fairbanks if that matters.

Default what calls to get

I don't have a a real strait answer for you, I've been buying every call I find in fairbanks, so far I think my favorite is a black Johny stewart call that is variable pitch, this one has a bird mouth type mouth piece on it and you bite down on it to change the pitch. You can do any thing from a howl to a mouse squeek with it. It's a pretty versital call. I also picked up a primos diaphram mouth call yesterday that I really like. It also has all the variables and is hands free. Warning though, it takes quite a bit of practice to get the sound you want when you want it, and will drive you're dog, cat, wife, and kids nuts practicing with it! Hope I helped you out a little, Calls are cheap and cool so buy a lot and figure out what you like!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FB Don View Post
    My son would like to try some calling for fox, wolf, and anything else they may come into calls. I'm not interested in any electronics. We live around Fairbanks if that matters.

i carry a pocket full of them... depends on weather temp... sky all that fro how they make sound and how well the sound carries... not to mention blowing them in the cold some freeze faster then others.. honestly it is like calling moose when ts real cold out they are real hungery... close is all that matters..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The call aksnowshoe is refering to is the Johnny Stewart PC-3 variable(sp) pitch, aka the bite style call. It is my favorite all time production call and I don't leave home with out it when calling. Everything after that is a Custom Predator Call.

Uh, nice tundra gator ya got there by the way aksnowshoe.

What makes the JS PC-3 so good is the varations and options ya have with sound. It might not be as popular as the open reed Crit'r calls, but I personally think that is because of volume. Its one of those call calls ya give the kid to play with for a week and tell him to imitate any thing he hears over the week, to include dad singing in the shower. You'll be amazed at what he can mimick after that week. (Its just a fun way for them to practice and learn what the call can do) Then play him a few distress calls off the net like a rabbit and woodpecker and tell him thats what he needs to sound like. Easy street from there.

I tend to lean towards higher pitched sounds for the most part, and the fox seem to love them.

Can't help ya with the wolf thing as I yet to call one in to a distress call. Not sure of your area, but watch for bears, had a big grizz out this way two days ago.

Default calls

Thanks for the compliment on the "tundra gator" waterwolf. I also agree on the tendancy towards high pitch calls for fox.

Sceery APS-5 Snowshoe hare.

Lohman Circe 3-in-1.

The Lohman is marked "Long", "Med", and "Close". The long and medium settings are raspy and higher pitched rabbit distress sounds respectively. The "close" setting is a rodent squeeker. To change sounds, just twist the mouth piece.

You may also want to consider call that can mimic fox pup yelps. I have one on an electronic call that nearly everytime I use it once I locate a fox, they come running in in a straight line when they hear it.
    Now what ?