Thread: Anchorage Area Gun Range

Default Anchorage Area Gun Range

New to the area and wondering which range you guys recommend.
    Thanks.

In my mind Birchwood is the best by far

Default Two choices?

Quote Originally Posted by shirtr View Post
    New to the area and wondering which range you guys recommend.
    Thanks.
    I know of only two.

Rabbit Creek (State of Alaska owns this under a loose mandate to provide for hunter safety). It is just west of the Seward Highway immediately north of Potter Marsh. It has restricted hours (especially in the Winter) and end even more restricted rules. (Do a search on Rabbit Creek Shooting Range and read forum postings for yourself)

Main advantage in my mind is that it is close.

Birchwood Range and Shooting Park (BSRP) is just north of Eklutna. If you join, as a member, you can even use the Park after the public hours are over. I shoot there.

I recommend you take a day for each and hang out. One-day range pass is $10 at either (last time I checked) and decide for yourself.

On the other hand, we used to have a public indoor range just south of Dimond Mall, but it closed. There is a market for it, but make your business plan carefully if you would like to open one. I would join, but make your backstop capable of high-energy rounds. We do love our big-bore revolvers up here.

As always, remember to believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you find on the internet.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Birchwood Range and Shooting Park (BSRP) is just north of Eklutna.
    If we ever travel together, I'm reading the map!

Default birchwood

rabbit creek is ok but very strict on the range rules. understandably so you dont want an idiot next to you to shoot you.

Birchwood is by far my favorite, you call your own cease fires and you get to choose between multiple ranges. Definately for more experienced shooters and remind yourself of the range rules and you should be ok.

Thanks guys.
    How far is it to the Birchwood range from South Anchorage?

Depending on traffic, 45 min to a hour.

Just an FYI, rabbit creek is closed the month of December.

If you're going to be doing alot of shooting rabbit creek wins out on less expensive year pass, and less gass $.

On the other hand, Birchwood offers much more, rifle range out to 300 yds, only 100 for RC, trap, skeet, shooting clays.

Birchwood is or was known as Issac Walton right?

Another shooter for Birchwood...I like to beable to drive my truck right up to the benches...

Default Rabbit Creek or Ft Rich

rabbit Creek is closest because it is in S Anchorage and it is not all that bad. It is only 100 yds though. Fort Richardson also has a range that can be used if you are affiliated with the military. The ft rich range goes out to 600 meters but they have very restricted hours based on military training usage. You must call in advance to find out if they are even open before showing up to use the Ft Rich range, and you must also watch a safety video to get certified before using thier range as well. Personally, I use the rabbit creek range for sighting in and general plinking and save my long range shooting for when I have the time to visit one of the longer ranges or set up my own out in the boonies when camping, (Keeping public safety first at all times).
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Mat Su Valley Indoor range is nice in the Winter. Much warmer indoors and the light is better at night...