Thread: cross country skis vs. snow shoes

Default cross country skis vs. snow shoes

In what conditions do snowshows out preform cross country skis. Also. I need to replace my karhu bushwackers and karhu kodiaks with new back country skis. What do you guys recommend? They will mostly be used for hunting and pulling a sled with a light pack on.

I use snowshoes to get short distances, like between an airplane and a cabin when the snow's really deep. Or to get an airplane unstuck. Or to stomp out a runway. Or to reach a stuck snowmachine. Snowshoes are particularly handy over skis while performing chores. If I wanted to get from point A to point B faster or if the distance was more than a few hundred yards? I'd prefer skis if I had them. Skis aren't as easy to carry as emergency gear, though, and my skis require special boots.

Ski's are great on trails, snowshoes are great off trail. If you want to head out in the woods, i.e. hiking through forests snowshoes blow skis away.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Ski's are great on trails, snowshoes are great off trail. If you want to head out in the woods, i.e. hiking through forests snowshoes blow skis away.
    I agree, when heading through the forest trying to manuver around down trees and tight areas snow shoes are better. The same for performing chores. If you want to cover distances ovet mostly open or clear terain then the skis are the better choice.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

And for serious climbing (unless you have skins and crampons) Shoes are wayyy better.

What make and model skis are you guys using for pulling pulks?