Thread: Hatchers Pass Area

Default Hatchers Pass Area

Has anyone been up there yet? I am busted, and out until January. I just wanted to think about it.

no, but i heard of a couple of folks getting caught in a slide recently. not sure on the details of that, no fatalities though.

There is pretty good coverage and a lot of people on the weekend. Heading up towards summit lake seems to be the most popular but lots of tracks coming down all around the independence mine area too.

Isn't it Hatcher Pass.
    Tim

Default Well...

I think it is Hatcher's Pass. Hatcher, I thought, was a dude's last name. The pass was named after him, hence, Hatcher's Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I think it is Hatcher's Pass. Hatcher, I thought, was a dude's last name. The pass was named after him, hence, Hatcher's Pass.
    Nope hatcher you had to make me look
    Tim

Default Where did you look?

Robert Lee Hatcher established the first (lode) gold claim located in Willow Creek Valley in September 1906, shortly after other stakes would be claimed.

So, if it was named after a guy, wouldn't it make sense to call it his pass, so, Hatcher's Pass. Robert Lee Hatcher's Pass.

Mckinley, but you would climb Mckinley's Summit. Denali, to hell with Mckinley really.

After poking around, people call it both. The funny thing is, I have a great panoramic framed photo in my house and the title reads "Hatcher Pass" which I think is officially inaccurate. It's too cool a shot to take down because of that though.

It should be Hatcher's Pass for the reasons described above, but it is offically Hatcher Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It should be Hatcher's Pass for the reasons described above, but it is offically Hatcher Pass.
    Not quite, it is Hatcher if you don't like it call the map makers!
    Tim