Thread: 30-30 for Predators

Default 30-30 for Predators

My brother and I are going to start some calling this year in the hope of bring in some fur. He has a 223 but all I have is a 30-30 or a 300. The 300 is to big, obversely. do you think a 30-30 will do?

Default It'll work, but...

Hope you like sewing. Gonna make a nice hole. I'd go with a smaller caliber if possible, H&R makes a nice single shot handy rifle, in like .223 or .204.

not sure what you are going after, but if its coyotes and fox I would look into a .22 hornet. 223 is going to blow a fox up pretty good. 17 fireball is another good choice.

You could try some 30-30 accelerator ammo. If you are unfamiliar with that ammo give it a good google search. Or purchase a cheap 223, I have a Stevens 200 in 223 that I bought for $250 and I added a Burris FF2 3-9 which has shown to be a great scope despite the abuse it sees when I take it calling.

to elaborate on FishandHank's comment, a .17 anything will work good.
    but, back to the original question...30/30 or .300, if thats what you have, and thats what you are goin to use right now, well, do you hand-load? you can load the 30/30 with the hardest round nose bullets you can find. I have shot several whitetails with 170 grn core-lokt where the bullet had no expansion. THe exit hole just about the same size as the entry hole. Or...you can load the .300 with full metal jackeks, but you have to watch your shooting lane. That would give you a major distance advantage over the 30/30, but you probably would want to make a shot too close either.

Now, for concideration, I will agree with everyone else... for about the price of 2 boxes of .300 shells you can buy a .22LR, and that will work perfect, and the ammo there is plenty cheap. You can buy used 22s real cheap!

Find some .30/30 Accelerators as stated above, 55g bullet set at max speed. I wish I can find some more for my .30/06.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default .06 acclarators

my buddy just picked up 2 boxes @ the sportsmans wear house last week end, they are still around just gotta look hard!