Thread: Savage 10xp 22-250

Default Savage 10xp 22-250

I just purchased this gun and have not even shot it yet. I wanted something that would shoot flat and accurate at long range. What experience has anyone had with accuracy out to what distance? Ive heard 500yrds and then it wil drop like a rock but I would like any info on what you've shot at what distance. I know Its not the gun but the shooter when it comes to accuracy but lets say i am you, what have i shot?

Also, the gun is bore sited from the factory as it came with a scope, but what distance do i start dialing it in at?

Thanks,
    Dennis

I bought one sans scope and put a so-so scope (VXII 4-12) on it. At 300 yards it's not a problem to hit beer bottle size targets and it shoots flat to that distance. I've never shot at anything farther but if I did at small targets I'd want higher magnification I think. Mine is set a 1" high at 100 yards and I hold where I want it to hit at 300.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I have an older Savage varmint rifle and it's the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. Shots out to 300 yards are no problem. I have a 10X fixed Burris scope on it. Shots out to 500 shouldn't be an issue either. However, the wind really effects those little bullets and makes long distance shooting with one a real art. The 22-250 is one of my favorite catridges. Have fun with the rifle.

well, didnt get to shoot rifle this saturday got to where i figured we could rabbit hunt for a while, and after my 7yr old and i went for a walk down the trail we ended up back at the truck with no rabbit, but wife said she found something.
    Ended up she found a young one year old moose that had been shot earlier in the morning and was dead about 10 yards of the trail laying there with a hole in its side!! This was about 2:30 in the afternoon and it still felt warm. We waited for the wildlife protection officer to show up and by the time we got done showing him the wheres and whats of it all I didnt want to target practice with the new gun.
    Light was fading fast and I wanted a rabbit to eat, seen as how protocal makes them call the moose salvage list people to come out and process the moose for human consumption. I would have gladly gutted and consumed it seen as how i didnt get to hunt moose this year. Well, at least it didnt go to waste..

The other reason we didnt shoot until the officer got there is that we hadnt fired a round and i figured if he wanted to smell our guns for recent shots fired i wouldnt be a suspect. So pretty much a wasted day of gas for someone elses bounty and all they had to do was pick up the phone.

I am glad we checked out a place i hadnt been to in 10 years and found someones wrong doing. At least somehow it wasnt all wrong, at least we found it fresh and not all spoiled and rotten!!

Will be a couple more weeks before time allows to get out again and we will probably go farther north towards cantwell this time as there are probably more predators up there anyway.

Thanks to those who have replied and if anyone knows of someone who came into some fresh moose meat saturday night. Your welcome